Equipment & Supplies • How to use two canisters?

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

How to use two canisters?

Postby CichlidAndrew » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:08 am

SO i have an XP3 and an Eheim 2117. I was thinking of just using the Rena for mechanical and chemical and then load the eheim with a bunch of bioballs and filter pads to use that for biological. Is that okay?
CichlidAndrew

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby nick a » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:37 am

You can do it that way it'd be just fine.

My preferences are a little different tho. First, I don't use (or need) any chemical media which opens more room for the other media types. Second, I prefer to have both cans set up as mech/bio--with the mech before the bio in the flow path. This IME helps keep the bio media cleaner and freer of any clogging solids. I like to put polishing (fine) pads as the last thing (on top) for easy access & quick changes without having to break down the entire unit. With both units set up this way, I feel more comfortable when I do heavy maint/cleaning on one of the units. I stagger the schedule so one is done every 6-8 weeks (a goal not always met :oops: ), leaving the other bio colony completely undisturbed.
nick a

Postby Burtess » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:19 pm

nick a wrote:...Second, I prefer to have both cans set up as mech/bio--with the mech before the bio in the flow path. This IME helps keep the bio media cleaner and freer of any clogging solids. I like to put polishing (fine) pads as the last thing (on top) for easy access & quick changes without having to break down the entire unit...

:thumb: :thumb:
Burtess

Postby kraylon » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:43 am

on my malawi tank i have 2 fluval canistrer filter 1 was a 304 and the other a 204 i have carbon and the bio rings in the 304 and i use the 204 for just a water poilsher worked out great they keep the water super clean and clear
kraylon

Return to Equipment & Supplies