Equipment & Supplies • Bio Ball vs Ceramic Rings

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Bio Ball vs Ceramic Rings

Postby DeViANtX » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:39 pm

Bio Ball vs Ceramic Rings? Which do you recommend?
DeViANtX

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby CichlidAndrew » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:55 pm

Bioballs have a ton more surface area. Coralife bioballs have 13 sq. in of surface area on one alone. This all means more area for growth.
CichlidAndrew

Postby AquaTester55 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:12 pm

Use the bio balls that can mesh together, otherwise you are not utilizing all the space available.
AquaTester55

Postby DeViANtX » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:10 am

is it going to be a problem when I remove all my ceramic rings and switch over to bio balls?
DeViANtX

Postby nimboman » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:37 am

Mix them- I use regular bioballs with chemstars and blocks of cell pore. When switching out biomedia keep some of the ceramic rings so that the bacteria can transfer to the bioballs.
100 gallon(all male):Nimbochromis venustus, livingstonii, polystigma, Copadichromis borleyi, Protomelas red empress, spilonotus "Mara Rocks", Champsochromis caeruleus, Tyrannochromis nigriventer, and Fossorochromis rostratus all average 5"
nimboman

Re: Bio Ball vs Ceramic Rings

Postby MightyM » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:37 am

DeViANtX wrote:Bio Ball vs Ceramic Rings? Which do you recommend?

what filter? its like apples and oranges they are both excellent in certain setups. bioballs are best known to use in wet dry sump and ceramic rings in canister.
MightyM

Postby tekjunky » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:47 am

Hello...i would use pot scrubbies over bio-balls or the rings. The pot scrubbies offer more surface growth than both of them and are cheaper.

http://www.wernersponds.com/biofiltermedia.htm

Just my 2 cents

Tekjunky
125 Gallon with 40 Tropheus sp. chimba red. Filtration: wet/dry filter and under gravel jets w/filter
120 pounds of crushed coral and shells
Never Underestimate the Power of Research!
tekjunky

Postby edouthirt » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:07 pm

is it going to be a problem when I remove all my ceramic rings and switch over to bio balls?

Let me ask a question. Is your current filtration not able to handle your bio-load?

If everything is working fine then don't change a thing. (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) However, since you're asking, I'm assuming that everything is not fine or that you are about to increase your stock significantly and are worried about your potential bio-load...

my personal opinion is that if you are worried about bio-load... get another filter, and use whatever you want.... bio-balls, ceramic rings, pot scrubbers, leggos, those tiny army men figurines...

Or if you have room in your current filter... add additional bio-media to it (bio-balls if you want some variety)

I would not suggest removing any of the ceramic rings that you currently have.

Warning: I have never used leggos or tiny army men, nor have I ever heard of anybody seriously using them (I have heard people bring up the possibility)... but as long as they don't leach out chemicals or harmful substances into the water (which I'm not sure if can figure that out) I don't see why they wouldn't work.
edouthirt

Postby kingdave » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:11 pm

I tend to agree with edouthirt on this topic. If there is nothing wrong with the ceramic rings, then why replace them? Adding a different type of media, like bio balls elsewhere in the system would be the way to go if you are looking to increase the bio filtering capacity overall.
kingdave

Postby Windsor » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:08 pm

I never thought of using pot scrubbies. Interesting. They may do well as your first layer of mechanical filtration.

For bio filtration, I do like the bio-balls, whichever flavor you like. They have lots of surface area, but at the same time are very "open" and don't tend to restrict water flow too much.
Windsor

Postby aritg3 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:22 pm

Can bio balls go into a Eheim canister filter (eg. the 2213 or 2026?)?
aritg3

Postby dreday » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:49 pm

in my sump i have bioballs, ceramic rings for canisters, and those luffa sponges for the shower. the plastic ones. i got 3 for a 1$ and i squeezed 6 in into the compartment. so now it is completely full.

the bioballs would have cost around 30$ to fill up the compartment. the rings around 50+. thats why i added the luffas, cause i only spent 10$ on each of the others and was sadly disappointed at how much space they took up.

if you have extra space in a sump then i say luffas or pot scrubbies (plastic on both). also i like the luffas cuase when i need to seed a new tank i just pull one out and shove it into new filter or leave it in tank. :thumb: :thumb:
Life is good.

If you are looking for medications, fish room supplies and food, then please check out http://ftffacoop.com.
Proud sponsor of Cichlid-Forum.com
dreday
CF Site Sponsor

Return to Equipment & Supplies