Aquarium Setup • another rocky set-up post...

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

another rocky set-up post...

Postby venustus19 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:53 am

i have a 90 that i am going to rescape again, but this time with bigger rocks... i want people possibly who have a 90 footprint tank to post their pics with big rocks as their rock work... i am trying to get a feel of how i want my tank to look... i bought 7 big rocks that weigh roughly 10-20 lbs... one rock is like maybe 6"x12"by 4-5"thick... people say less big rocks make the tanks look bigger than lots of small rocks... so that is what i am gonna try tonight i hope... please post some pics of your setup... i was looking through your tanks, but it is hard just to pin point what i am looking for... so hopefully this post will help me greatly...
thanks.

anybody is welcome to post their pics, i mainly want just big rock and no plant posts.
venustus19

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Windowlicka » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:35 pm

Click on my tanks to see my 20g long, 65g and 90g...

My 90g (Mbuna) is setup with 140lb's of lace rock, but it's piled for 'height' - this (IMO) helps the fish to feel more at ease, and more likely to venture forward in the tank, knowing that they have plenty of 'bolt-holes' to disappear into if "danger threatens"... I also like the way that the fish utilize the entire height of the wall to graze on algae...

My 65 (and 20) uses river rock piled - works well for the Oto's, and encourages them to swim in the upper columns of water, but it's already cost me 1 peacock and 1 Oto that got stuck in the rocks (the peacock got stuck upside down?!?)

I hope these layouts help to give you some ideas, and wish you the best of luck!
90 Gallon Male Mbuna

2x Ps. Acei
2x Ps. Lombardoi
3x Lab. Perlmutt
2x Lab. Trewavassae
2x Ps. Tropheops
2x Ps. Zebra "Red O.B."
2x Ps. Msobo
3x Syno. Multipunctatus
1x Sailfin Plec
Windowlicka

Postby BrianNFlint » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:06 pm

I have some pics of my 75 gallon with about 150 lbs of lace rock. Click my tanks to see a few. PM me if you want more.
BrianNFlint

Return to Aquarium Setup