DIY - Projects & Ideas • 5000 gallon pond

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby Squinchy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:24 am

My family has a 9100 Gallon pond and i agree with dolphinlover, get a good Uv lamp, it dose wonders!
Here is the pond
Squinchy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby 18fisher » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:19 am

here's some pics of my pond its about 10,000 gallons it varys in depth from 1.5 3.5
hope this helps

they made a home this spring. 18 fisher :thumb:
18fisher

Postby Mcdaphnia » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:00 am

Mallards come to our pond each spring, to eat as many of our Japanese snails (for eating algae) as they can find, and to poop in the water, turning it green and fertilizing the algae and the duckweed they can bring with them on their legs and feathers. They seem to be ineffective predators against the fish and plants.
Mcdaphnia

Postby pondmom » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:15 am

Here's my pond.
It's 16' x14'x4½' deep. It's a bit over 5000 gallons. To completely fill this pond takes 6 hours from empty to full. It's all worth it to me :fish:

Doree`
pondmom

Postby Desi<3 » Mon May 05, 2008 3:08 pm

OMG I LoVe your pond (pondmom)!

I like all of the flowers and plants, how do you keep your pond clear? Ours turns green :( every summer.
Desi<3

Postby fishwolfe » Mon May 05, 2008 3:39 pm

that is an awesome pond! :drooling:
fishwolfe

Postby dolphinlover » Mon May 05, 2008 9:11 pm

how do you keep your pond clear? Ours turns green :( every summer
The only way I have found to keep the pond clear, and not looking like pea soup, is to have a UV light installed, they are spendy but that is the only way to keep a pond crystal clear that I have found.
:fish:
dolphinlover

Postby Desi<3 » Tue May 06, 2008 3:17 pm

How does it keep the pond clear? Wouldnt it make the green worse?
Does it have to do w/ the UV?
Desi<3

Postby cholile » Tue May 06, 2008 3:20 pm

these ponds are fantastic
cholile

Postby dolphinlover » Tue May 06, 2008 5:41 pm

The water is pumped through the Ultra Violet Light, which kills the free floating algae (which is what makes a pond green), the water then is returned to the pond through filters.
On our 9000 gallon pond we have a 120 watt UV light installed and the pond is crystal clear all year round.
Before we had this light, our pond was only clear in the winter, and looked like "pea soup" in the summer, we could only see the Koi at the surface. We really were upset not being able to enjoy our pond in the summer time, so we finally broke down and installed the UV light.
UV lights "kill" algae, they do not make your pond green.
Here is a link to where we bought ours, bear in mind tho, if you have a large pond like we do, these lights are expensive, and you have to replace the bulbs every year.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=14229
:)
dolphinlover

Postby SirSmapty » Fri May 09, 2008 11:41 am

fishwolfe wrote:maybe we should have a pond section?i started a pond but ran into solid rock about 2' down.not sure if i wanted to go through with it, so now i have a 10'x8' hole in my yard :roll:

Haha, I had a similar situation.I dug a huge hole in the yard and ran into the tree roots. I wasn't about to hack through them to get the pond in, and wasn't going to put a pond on top of the root, since it would just grow into the pond for water. So I had to put all the dirt back in and work on getting the grass to grow back in that spot.

On the upside, I know my tree can't ever tip over as the root base is a good 20' from the trunk of the tree.
SirSmapty

Postby sben763 » Mon May 12, 2008 10:12 pm

The algee can also be controled by a D E cake filter for swimming pools with the right set up you can go from pea soup to cystal clear in less than 3 hours. and you dont have to run it 24/7 to keep it clean. put a timmer on it to turn the water 10 times a day

Edit after looking at the price of the 120watt it is about the same inital investment or a little more for the D E filter but from then on only the powder to buy!!!
sben763

Previous

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas