DIY - Projects & Ideas • Awsome and unique Fish Tank

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby lomax » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:46 pm

ok i figured this out in the old thread but i will repeat.

the air pump is out side the tank above the top of the upper tank.

i tube goes from the air pumps intake down under the the tank and up the back behind the back ground to the top of the inside. there it sucks in air and it goes all the way down and out to the air pump and back to the out port. then it is pushed back down and into the bottom of the tank to bubble up the the top to be sucked up one more time. if the power goes out no big deal as the air pump is above the waterline and the bottom air tube can not suck air. the only problem is the top air line HAS to have a check valve that will not let air travel into the top of the tank. it would NOT be using a plastic bendable pipe, but a stronge PVC or better a metal flex pipe like the ones used in a vacuum system in a car.

the air bubbles add no O2 to the water but are just to move the water, all aeration must be done with the lower tank. this is no different then a very deep tank with a small surface area at the top, you just need a way to mix air and water better. a over flow and a big sump system under the lower tank could deal with both the O2 problem and any overflow issues.

if you had a strong enough air compressor i could make a top tank go up and down like a huge tide :) just put it on a timer !

still this is about a gimmick tank and much less about the fish.
lomax

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Adrnalnrsh » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:56 pm

How to fill the upper tank.

Tell me if this sound right.

You fill the upper tank up first with the bottom up and top down. Basically open at the top. Then you sit the bottom tank on top of the upper tank upside down so the bottom tank is facing down.

Now if you turn the tanks over quickly without slipping pressure from the air that was at the top will rise to what is now the top (since it was flipped over causing a vacum effect then you can slowly start filling the bottom tank and raising the top tank.
Adrnalnrsh

Postby aaxxeell » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:07 pm

nah u can have it set up like it should be and the airline at the top believe it or not can be sucked manually, or woth a strong pump, to lift the water to a desired level (use a check valve tho :)

I've seen the video on you tube of the fella sucking it out manually... he looked puffed when he was done. :lol:
25g Planted
75g+ texas
130g GT
aaxxeell

Postby Mcdaphnia » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:08 pm

Adrnalnrsh wrote:How to fill the upper tank.

Tell me if this sound right.

You fill the upper tank up first with the bottom up and top down. Basically open at the top. Then you sit the bottom tank on top of the upper tank upside down so the bottom tank is facing down.

Now if you turn the tanks over quickly without slipping pressure from the air that was at the top will rise to what is now the top (since it was flipped over causing a vacum effect then you can slowly start filling the bottom tank and raising the top tank.
Yeah! Reminds me of the book about aliens building the Egyptian pyramids with anti-gravity, building them upside down on the tip and then inverting the completed pyramid. If I were to be creative, I'd do it the easy way, fill my romaurie tanks by assembling them on the bottom of a swimming pool, being careful not to bump them with my SCUBA tank. Then I'd drain the pool and remodel it into a living room. :thumb:
Mcdaphnia

Postby aaxxeell » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:13 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
hahaha, McDaphnia your hilarious
:lol: :lol: :lol:
25g Planted
75g+ texas
130g GT
aaxxeell

Postby remarkosmoc » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:32 am

To pump the air out of the top of the tank would require a powerful pump because it isn't just sucking air out of the top of the tank but it is also pulling all the water up. If you put a air tube from the top of the tank to open air the tank would drain as the air tube would let air get sucked in as the water pulled it down. A traditional air pump doesn't have anywhere near the power to do this. If the vacuum pump and the incoming air pump were balanced, or if the vacuum pump only runs once in a while to suck the air out in bulk, then turns back off it wouldn't be a problem.

I would think that very low pressure at the top of the inverted tank would make evaporation a serious problem.

I don't think it would evaporate since it is a closed top.
"It occurs to me, if I ever did perfect a time machine, I would just go into the past and give it to myself; thus eliminating the need to invent it in the first place." -- Sheldon Cooper
remarkosmoc

Postby aaxxeell » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:04 pm

like i said before behind 1 of these tanks on you tube the pump behind the tank is shown for a few seconds and is jumbo, like an air compressor sized unit...
25g Planted
75g+ texas
130g GT
aaxxeell

Postby AF_medic » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:04 pm

everybody seems worried about evaporation with this tank. just add an automatic top off valve. you'll be spending enough on the vacuum to keep the inverted tank filled, what's a few more bucks for a little top off system? a sump added to this system would also add a measure of safety should the vacuum break on the upper tank. well, nevermind. no way an overflow could drain that much water that fast. forget I mentioned it. :D :roll:
It's payday...... I think I'll go buy a fish.
I have too many fish...... I think I'll go buy another tank.
I have an empty tank.... I think I'll go buy a fish.
AF_medic

Postby mepeterser2451 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:22 pm

cichlid_junkie wrote:I would think that very low pressure at the top of the inverted tank would make evaporation a serious problem.

Just my 2 cents.

whatayah mean?
mepeterser2451

Postby acrosstic » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:44 am

That pipeline tank is awesome!

Anyways, what led me to believe it is a fake is so few fish in the lower tank and so many in the upper tank. Why would they all want to be in the higher tank? Fish in my experience tend to space out (At least randomly) rather than group together.

Its possible, but this is a fake.
acrosstic

Postby Mcdaphnia » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:31 am

acrosstic wrote:That pipeline tank is awesome!

Anyways, what led me to believe it is a fake is so few fish in the lower tank and so many in the upper tank. Why would they all want to be in the higher tank? Fish in my experience tend to space out (At least randomly) rather than group together.

Its possible, but this is a fake.

Water weighs over 8 pounds a gallon. If the pipeline contains 250 gallons of water, that is about a ton, with very little evident support other than the tank rims. Seems like more than a plastic tank frame could support.
Mcdaphnia

Postby bentcountershaft » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:06 am

I looked at all of that guys vids and he says in the comments of one of them that the top tank has the ability to be sealed off from the bottom. Once filled, the seal is removed. The air in the top tank is just recycled from the top of it back to the bottom, no new air introduced in the top tank.

Edit: I'm referring to the original video in the thread.
bentcountershaft

Postby remarkosmoc » Wed May 07, 2008 12:54 am

I got a new aqua lifter for a hydroponic project I'm working on. I instantly though of this thread when I looked at the back of the box and low and behold, I see this style tank listed as a 'water column'. I scanned the back of the box and it didn't come thru that well but the picture shows the inverted tank sitting in the shallow tank with a couple goldfish swimming around. This is a $10 pump alleging it can do this!

"It occurs to me, if I ever did perfect a time machine, I would just go into the past and give it to myself; thus eliminating the need to invent it in the first place." -- Sheldon Cooper
remarkosmoc

Postby Malawidolphin » Wed May 07, 2008 8:33 am

Photshopped , as you can tell when he puts food in the net and seems to insert it right through the upper tank. Definately a fake. :roll:
Malawidolphin

Postby jimgiven » Wed May 07, 2008 5:17 pm

Easily confirmed.....email the poster to find out where he lives and ask someone from our forum to check it out....

Jim
jimgiven

PreviousNext

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas