DIY - Projects & Ideas • DIY egg tumblers

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby Leviathan25 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:29 am

BUMP, theres been several Q & A's regarding holding fish and egg tumblers, thought this post might be useful :popcorn:
Leviathan25

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby danielratti » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:10 pm

could i buy egg tumblers from a lfs or is that a thing that most don't sell and your lucky if you can find one there?
danielratti

Postby Leviathan25 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:31 pm

some online stores, sometimes on ebay, mostly DIY, never seen one yet in a retail store. Not that hard to make, more like a craft than a project in terms of easy to make, once you have the supplies, one like mine can be made in under an hour.
Leviathan25

Postby TheeMon » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:23 am

yes more pics Leviathan :)
TheeMon

Postby Leviathan25 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:31 am

Hey Shawn, more pics huh? well, since I sparked more interest in this, I"ll build another with more step by step pics/instructions. The last one was fairly tall and would really only fit a 30tall or larger, I'll do a build up for a shorter profile to make it more versatile. Take notes on the first page of the thread as the materials will be close to the same. More to follow
Rich
Leviathan25

Postby Leviathan25 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:10 pm

Ok here goes, a step by step egg tumbler smaller version to fit tanks as small as 10gal.
If something is still confusing or I left something out, just ask and I'll try to clarify.
pic1 stuff you need Image
1/2" pvc, 1/2"pvc cap & T, 1-1/4 pvc cap(2ea), standard florecent plastic light tube(clear), air regulator(optional),foam of choice for intake and head cap, hard plastic air line, suction cup,
1wood/metal screw(stainless),screen netting(soft-fabric)and tools. Most tools are self explanitory, drill bits you determine(not critical),spade bit 7/8" or 22mm.
pic2 Image
drill both 1-1/4 caps(center best you can) with spade bit
pic3 Image
glue short pieces of 1/2 pvc to 1/2 cap and T (1/2 pvc will determine overall length of assy.)
pic4 Image
glue 1/2 pvs assy's to 1-1/4 pvc caps
pic5 Image
drill top head assy, add screw, this will secure top head assy to clear body(florecent tube cut)
pic6 Image
drill numerous holes for water intake
pic7 Image
place screen over bottom assy, slide clear tube over, trim excess
pic8 Image
trickiest part of the whole thing is to cut the famous patented leviathan25's "L" in the
top of tube for securing with screw.......well maybe not famous 8)
pic9 Image
test fit assy, make any adjustments necessary
pic10 & 11 Image
make a small sponge filter to insert in the head assy, this will prevent the accidental
sucking up the eggs and out into the aquarium if you use too much pressure.
pic12 Image
make pre-filter, otherwise food and waste will contaminate your eggs
pic13 Image
drill hole in head assy, install suction cup(I use a left over heater suction cup but
any will do, drill hole slightly smaller than cup's button)
pic14 Image
drill hole in top center for har air line, pvc glue to assy
pic15 Image
assemble and ....TA DAA
pic 16 Image
new egg tumble compared to larger assy.
Leviathan25

Postby Leviathan25 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:45 am

in action with 26-27 Kenyi
Leviathan25

Postby TheeMon » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:06 am

ok i have a problem with your setup levi, i only have a lowes around me and i have checked lowes(and walmart etc.) and i cannot find that clear tubing that goes over florecent lights. i might try to get them to order it but im not sure if they will.

any other options?
TheeMon

Postby Leviathan25 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:48 pm

I already sent you some netting, want me to build it for you :drooling: , go to Cardello's lighting on N. 3rd St., in Stubenville, they have tons of em. 4' for $1.90, 8' for $3.88. 8)
Leviathan25

Postby TheeMon » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:25 pm

really? ill have to go down and take a look :) to be honost i didnt even know that store was there, how did u?
TheeMon

Postby Leviathan25 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:05 pm

I've got this really really super duper secret can't tell anyone magic teleport device called a ........... Internet silly! :roll:
just went to yahoo searh yellow pages, called your Lowes, he gave me a couple suggestions....and 3minutes later...voila....thats French for "Big Dummy" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Leviathan25

Postby TheeMon » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:39 pm

haha, great. thx :)
TheeMon

Postby Derow69 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:59 pm

i used a gravel vac tube and mine is workign fine but do u have to close off the top so that the bubbles get forced down or is it right how i have coming out the top of my gravel vac
Derow69

Postby Leviathan25 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:07 am

not sure if I understand your question but I'll give it a shot, the bubbles are supposed to escape from the top, what the bubbles do is draw water from the bottom past the eggs causing them to lightly tumble and and recieve oxigen from the water draw in. It's not necessary to get the bubbles near the eggs, but the lower/closer they are, the more the eggs tend to rise, you only want a light tumble, a violent rise and fall will destroy them....any help there?
Leviathan25

Postby Derow69 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:02 am

Leviathan25 wrote:not sure if I understand your question but I'll give it a shot, the bubbles are supposed to escape from the top, what the bubbles do is draw water from the bottom past the eggs causing them to lightly tumble and and recieve oxigen from the water draw in. It's not necessary to get the bubbles near the eggs, but the lower/closer they are, the more the eggs tend to rise, you only want a light tumble, a violent rise and fall will destroy them....any help there?

so pretty much how i have it now is perfect :) just a hack job tumbler for the first one ever made
Derow69

PreviousNext

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas