General Aquaria Discussion • How Long Can You Go without Changing things in Your Tank?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

How long before changing things around in your tank?

1 week
9%
1 month
33%
6 months
35%
Over a year
20%
Never
4%

Total votes : 46

Postby akapaul26 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:10 pm

I would like to change things around but I don't like to mess with territories. I change things as the fish grow about every 6mo to a year or so for a fresh look.
akapaul26

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Toby_H » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:21 pm

I think the fish would prefer to stay in one appropriate sized tank with the same decor... but as long as each set up we create is suitable for the fish we keep then I see no harm in tweeking things until we get them right.
The happier you make your fish the happier they will make you

Minimum requirements means minimum happiness for all
Toby_H

Postby BlackShark11k » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:27 pm

You forgot one option. One minute :lol:
BlackShark11k

Postby TheFishGuy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:52 pm

I voted six months ,but this isn't entirely accurate.... As I seem to like to tinker when the time allows...
TheFishGuy

Postby Laurel » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:12 pm

I'm gonna try to make it til Christmas before I get rid of my 2 zebra species and get some Saulosi and Maingano. I don't know how well I'll hold out, but I'll give it a shot.
Laurel

Postby DJRansome » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:17 pm

I've gone more than 6 months, but I don't think I've made a year yet. Last year I moved the mbuna from 38G to 125G. Last week I removed the Socolofi and bought Cynotilapia Blue Reef to replace them. And Calvus for the 38G.

Next year? Marine!!
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby heylady » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:47 am

I constantly change things around. I used to tell myself that I did it because I'm not the best aquascaper and it takes me several tries to get it "right". Only bad part was even when I got a tank looking really, really, good, it isn't long before I change things around again! There goes that theory.... :wink:

50g 1 red oscar
heylady

Postby spqrzilla » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:57 pm

10 minutes.
South American tank with mikrogeophagus altaspinosa, glowlight tetras, cardinal tetras and otocinclus, Tangiyikan tank with neolamprologus multifasciatus
spqrzilla

Postby TheFishGuy » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:16 pm

spqrzilla wrote:10 minutes.

:lol: I used to be like that.... :lol:
TheFishGuy

Postby pilau » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:47 pm

dntx5b9 wrote:I usually don't tinker too much with the deco, but always changing the stocking list. Mostly adding new fish every so often. And then, I realize that I am way over stocked and need to remove fish from the tank. Unending cycle ... :D

How do you not? :D I change my fish like I change my underwear :D
pilau

Postby Lucifer » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:14 am

Change the deco in my 6ft tank once every couple months for a change. My RD 'wet pet' wont let me change the deco in his tank. Change stocking lists every couple months except my 6ft which took me 6 months of fiddling with stocking list to get it right and afraid to touch in now haha :D
Lucifer

Postby herb » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:14 am

I chose never, but i have moved my tanks about once a year lately, but i almost never rearrange rocks and decorations in the tank(s). I do waterchanges and make as few changes as possible. even when i move a tank i set it back up close to the way it was at the other location.

herb
it doesn't take all kinds, we have just got them.
herb

Postby Alleycat » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:02 am

Once I set up a tank, it's moved everyday ( yeah sometimes hourly ) until I achieve whatever it is I've set out to do. Once everyone has staked a claim, I'm done. If I add or remove fish, I will re-arrange as needed, but otherwise, it remains as is until I have to tear it apart to catch the fry I've waited forever for. :D
Alleycat

Return to General Aquaria Discussion