Lake Malawi Species • Tankmates for Demasoni in 75 Gallon

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Tankmates for Demasoni in 75 Gallon

Postby devdev222 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:32 pm

Hey All,

I've been keeping fish my entire life. I've done discus, reef tanks, high tech planted tanks, you name it. I've never done African cichlids though. I recently posted in the Tanganyikan section as well. I have a 75 gallon tank that I'm prepping for cichlids. I can't decide between a Tang community tank, a Tropheus colony, or Mbuna. Being very experienced in the hobby I'm fairly comfortable with any of those. I'd like to see some breeding and fun behavior. Color is important, but secondary to behavior for me. For Mbuna I'm considering P. demasoni, but don't know what to put with them. I know I need at least 12 of the demasoni. Any recommendations? My tap water is hard and alkaline. Ph is 8.2 to 8.4 out of the tap and very hard. It does come out at 10ppm nitrate though. Tanks is 48" x 18" x 20" tall.

Thanks,

Dev
devdev222

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Tankmates for Demasoni in 75 Gallon

Postby noki » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:57 pm

Just use another Mbuna that is different, the Demasoni will largely ignore the other species to some extent since they are worried about their own kind so much. Demasoni act really paranoid and never really act relaxed so you want a non barred Mbuna that will be active and swim around alot. Yellow Labs are popular since they contrast well and don't challenge the Demasoni since Yellow Labs are pretty meek on the Mbuna scale. Other choices might be the solid colored (Cobalt, Pearl, Red Zebra) or OB Zebra types which will be quite active but might be too strong for the Demasoni to breed freely. It all depends on what you want, which fish you want to do the best. Socolofi would be another choice.

As for interesting behavior, I would pick a Zebra Metriclima type, or Cynotilapia type, or Labeotropheus type.
noki

Postby tanker3 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:05 pm

Noki gave you good advice. I would have either Red Zebras or Yellow Labs (or maybe even both) as a nice contrast to the Blue Demasoni.
75gal Tank White Labs, White Top Haras, Met. Membe Deep
58gal Tank Ps. Saulosi , Lab. Perlmutt
tanker3

Postby DJRansome » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:08 pm

I'd do 15 demasoni in a 75G after removing excess males. You want to fill the tank with them so they can't keep track of who they are annoyed with.

I like 12 for a 55G and 20 for a 72" tank.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby devdev222 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:57 pm

Would it be an issue to start with the yellow/white labs first and add the demasoni later in one batch?
devdev222

Postby DJRansome » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:08 pm

Is it fully cycled for the full bioload? Are you just doing the 2 species? As long as you don't wait too long between additions. I usually don't like to increase bioload by more than 2X if the bacteria has had a chance to adjust to the lower number of fish.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species