Lake Malawi Species • Yellow Lab "Bearding"?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Yellow Lab "Bearding"?

Postby DaMoJo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Hey All:

I have an Electric Yellow Lab (Belle - Wife named her even though I told her it's probably a Male..LoL) that's doing perfect in my tank. All water parameters check out (Temp: 78.6 / Ammonia: 0 / Nitrites: 0 / Nitrates: 10 / pH: 7.2). Just recently she has started getting darker in color. She is still yellow, but not as vibrant. Especially around the head and "chin" area. I've read online and have come across this "bearding" topic. But my question is, what can I do to get her vibrant colors back?

Food:
-NLS 1mm Sinking Cichlid Pellet
-Occasional veggie (blanched carrot, lettuce, etc)

She eats with no problem. However, I have found she's a little picky with the NLS Pellets and prefers the Aqueon Cichlid Pellets more, but I went with NLS to provide a better food and to possibly help with her pigment.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: #%$&, I just realized I posted this under the SA Cichlid page. MODs...can you please move post to the correct forum? Thanks...
DaMoJo

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Yellow Lab "Bearding"?

Postby DJRansome » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:05 pm

It's not a food issue.

It is either one or both of these:
1-genetics. Some fish get more dark coloration than others, and a clean juvenile can get the bearding as they mature. There are strains that don't get the bearding, but they are not readily available.
2-Stress or excitement. Fish may get dark when spawning, when eating or just when harassed.

What can you do? Make the tank as peaceful as possible. If the fish is being harassed, the yellow may come back if you are able to better manage aggression.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Re: Yellow Lab "Bearding"?

Postby Fogelhund » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:07 pm

Wilds and F1 can get bearding... it isn't a big deal. But, for breeding stock, I'd personally select a different male.
Fogelhund

Return to Lake Malawi Species