Lake Malawi Species • want to add a species

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

want to add a species

Postby pfoster74 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:57 pm

125g 6ft long currently (6 to 8 Metriaclima sp. "Msobo") (6 to 10 Pseudotropheus Elongatus Mpanga) and (6 to 10 Labeotropheus trewavasae (Chilumba) i tried a group of rusties and a group of red top ndumbi both got wiped out i was wondering if i could add a Melanochromis group or instead Pseudotropheus socolofi (Albino)?
pfoster74

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: want to add a species

Postby pfoster74 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:05 pm

i also have a 75g stocked wth (Labidochromis Caeruleus (Lions Cove) (Maingano Cichlid) and a group of (Metriaclima greshakei)
pfoster74

Postby DJRansome » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:52 pm

How did the first two get wiped out? I would have said they would work.

So pending the answer to the first question, I think Melanochromis (not auratus or chipoke) or socolofi would work.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby pfoster74 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:27 pm

i'm not sure what happened. when i watch them it doesn't seem like abnormal behavior aggression wise. i have alot of rocks in the tank for hiding spots. the mpanga male can get pretty aggressive but typically he is chasing his own females
pfoster74

Postby DJRansome » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:35 pm

Whatever happened to the first additions could happen to the second as well I guess.

Did they die off one at a time over a period?

Could you have a bloat epidemic?
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby pfoster74 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:11 pm

it was more of a one at a time kill off. i feed them spirulina, african cichlid pellets, and algae discs. tank has a pleco they seem to leave him alone.
pfoster74

Postby DJRansome » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:11 pm

OK, well, I've never seen a mbuna kill another mbuna (except as a result of a long period of harassment), so I thought it was worth asking. Bloat is not a food thing...it's a stress/harassment thing.

Why do you think the msobo (the murder suspects) are so aggressive? If they are the same fish...won't they do it again?
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby pfoster74 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:08 pm

i think the msobo currently are 5 female and 1 male i wasnt looking to add any more of them because i think they will not accept new additions i was thinking a different fish type and hoping for good results. if it is stress that is killing them im not sure what to do different.
pfoster74

Postby DJRansome » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:48 pm

Before they die, do they stop eating? Anyone lurking under the surface or hiding behind filters or intakes, even occasionally? Any fine, white or clear feces?
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby pfoster74 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:24 am

yeah i did notice some hiding behind the filter.
pfoster74

Postby DJRansome » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:11 pm

I'd try treating with Metronidazole and then add the species you truly want (well maybe not Ndumbi). Msobo are not usually extreme murderers.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby pfoster74 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:53 pm

so it makes more sense i started with around a dozen msobo i got cocky after the move and got an ich outbreak that claimed about half the tank. so when i went to add more i ordered from that better supplier i pm's you about at that time i added around 10 the 6 yellow in the tank took out the orange after that war i had 2 yellow left so i figured i want more than just 2 and ordered ten more this time yellow now there are 6 with it looking like 1 male and 5 females. they seem to be doing fine now so i was gonna leave them alone and wanted a different color like socolofi or was wondering if a tougher fish like a Melanochromis not auratus or chipokae would be an ok addition leaving the trewavasae the msobo and the mpanga alone which are all in decent sized groups. for the tank i would like more than 6 msobo but im sure they will breed if the killing stops. the ich issue happened in dec early jan and it's all cleared up now. also looking observing better i do have some red top ndumbi in there they like to rock hide alot so i may just cool off i didnt realize i had 4 types already. i am thinking i'm only seeing 4 red top's but i'm not sure and should i add more to bring numbers up or at this point too late?
pfoster74

Postby DJRansome » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:14 pm

The ndumbi are famed killers, but if some are doing well in your tank and you want to keep them...maybe you should add more.

Maybe Fogelhund will chime in...he has kept them and said they were most aggressive fish he has ever kept. He may have an opinion on them in a 75G.

IDK if I would consider albino socolofi a tougher fish than what you have. Or maingano for that matter. Labeotropheus and elongatus can be pretty tough fish.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Fogelhund » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:57 pm

I don't !@#$ about things too often, but man... punctuation and capitals. That is one tough read.

How big are these ndumbi compared to the other fish. If they are hiding, it doesn't sound like typical dominant behaviour... sounds like they are hiding from more dominant fish... but if they get to be even in size, watch out, they can be nuts.
Fogelhund

Postby pfoster74 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:03 am

sorry for the tough read. the red top are around 1.5 to 2 inches. the trewavasae are the largest around 2.5 inches.
pfoster74

Return to Lake Malawi Species