Lake Malawi Species • Cichlid Growth Rates

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Cichlid Growth Rates

Postby kinglake » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:40 pm

48" wide, 72 gallon bowfront, up and running 4 or so months now

After cycling, I stocked with 8 yellow labs juvies (1.25") and 12 Maingano juvies (1.25"), all introduced at the same time from the same online vendor.

As of now, I have 6 yellow labs, all around 2". No idea what happened to the other two, I never saw a dead one, although tank has a massive amount of nooks and cranies that a small fish carcass could get lodged in. Water parameters never spiked though.

My question is about the mainganos. Hard to count, but I think I still have 11 of these. Strange thing is 3 of them, that act like males, are already around 2-2.5" long, however I have 3 to 4 that don't appear to have grown at all. Still 1 to 1.25" long after 3 months or so. All appear to be eating fine, all come to top of tank when I feed. Other than sex, what could cause this very dramatic difference in growth rates?
kinglake

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Cichlid Growth Rates

Postby tanker3 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:21 pm

Maybe not as aggressive as the others when feeding.
75gal Tank White Labs, White Top Haras, Met. Membe Deep
58gal Tank Ps. Saulosi , Lab. Perlmutt
tanker3

Re: Cichlid Growth Rates

Postby wryan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:38 am

I have a similar issue with growth rates with a number of different types of fish (yellow labs, j. transcriptus, P. acei, M. auratus) ... the runts of tanks.

I think it's as tanker3 says: aggressiveness during feeding varies by individual and species. Which isn't to say that other factors (quality of food and water for instance) might not play some role as well.

I've thought of pulling the runts out and putting them in their own tank to try and fatten them up.
wryan

Return to Lake Malawi Species