Lake Malawi Species • Unique Mbuna shapes/colors

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Unique Mbuna shapes/colors

Postby optimystyk » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:05 pm

Hi everyone. It's been awhile since I've posted. So, I am looking to add 4 male mbuna to my main mbuna aquarium. I am looking for any suggestions for mbuna that have very unique body shape or possibly color. Perhaps even any that are quite rare. Let me list off a few that I have so you don't need to include those ones. Jalo Reef Afra, Yellow Lab, Textilus Exasperus, Maingano, Acei, Rusty, Red Top Hongi, OB Zebra, Albino Socolofi, Williamson North Blue Lips, Red Zebra, Cobalt Zebra, Ochre Trewavasae.

I understand this is sort of a broad topic, but I do appreciate anyone who gives it a thought. Body shape being my top priority followed by color secondary. Colors I would need being black, pink, teal, a true red or maroon, and maybe some unique patterns of stripes/spots/etc.
optimystyk

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Unique Mbuna shapes/colors

Postby optimystyk » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:16 pm

I am looking to get a elongatus. Right now I'm leaning towards a Chewere. If you have a suggestion of your favorite elongatus feel free to point me in it's direction. Thanks everyone.
optimystyk

Postby deeda1 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:31 pm

Tank size and dimensions?
deeda1

Postby Kanorin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:23 pm

Ps. elongatus 'spot'
Metriaclima msobo
125G: C. aurifrons (luwino), trewavasae (thumbi west), saulosi, caeruleus (nkhata), rusties, S. multipunctatus.
Kanorin

Postby optimystyk » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:18 pm

55 gallon 48x13x21. I do have a 75 that I am preparing for the near future.

Thanks for the reply Kanorin. The "spot" is right up there. The only reason I haven't decided on it is because I'm not sure about the colors. It very difficult to tell in pictures and video if it's truely a black fish. If anyone can confirm this I'm all in. Beauty of a picture you have there also Kan. Hope that's one of your fellas.
optimystyk

Postby DJRansome » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:01 am

IMO the 55G is already overfull and even the same fish in a 75G is plenty.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby noki » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:44 am

Msobo male would fill the black with different markings idea. As for shapes there are skinny Mbuna and more robust Mbuna. There are Mbuna with broad mouths and Mbuna with pointed mouths. Colors are light blue or dark blue, yellow or orange, with black. Not much variation beyond that.

As for the tank, this is going to be a fight pit. If you keep it crowded it make work for awhile, but few fish will be at there best. When they get 4" it could get very violent.
noki

Postby optimystyk » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:30 pm

It's not a new tank. I'm swapping some current fish out for some new ones. They aren't all even in the same 55's. I had a feeling this would manage to steer in this direction. Let's get back on topic.

Just looking for some unique Mbuna. The tank and stocking are fine. Thanks for the concern though.
optimystyk

Postby noki » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:37 pm

Really just many Mbuna variations on the same theme. Chilumba Zebra is a cool one that is different from your other fish, very broad mouth with a "black mask" effect.
noki

Postby optimystyk » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:26 pm

Noki, thanks for the tip. I was looking at a white top hara for one spot, but I may be leaning towards a Chilumba now. Tough choice.
optimystyk

Postby BlueSunshine » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:49 pm

chewere
jewel spot
polit
chilumba
BlueSunshine

Postby optimystyk » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:57 am

I've always liked the polit, but it's another one of those Mbuna that's difficult to tell what they look like in person. I was always curious how they looked colored down also.

Anyone seen a Psuedotropheus sp. zebra mdoka "long pelvic"? They appear to have golden stripes, which would be both beautiful and something new.
optimystyk

Postby BlueSunshine » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:28 am

optimystyk wrote:I've always liked the polit, but it's another one of those Mbuna that's difficult to tell what they look like in person. I was always curious how they looked colored down also.

Anyone seen a Psuedotropheus sp. zebra mdoka "long pelvic"? They appear to have golden stripes, which would be both beautiful and something new.

Juvi polits are brown, dominate males have black face, throat and pearl white body.
Colored down males are blue-grey in color.
If I can find some pics of ours I'll post them for you.
BlueSunshine

Postby ha77 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Tropheops have a really unique body shape and you dont see them around very often. Rather aggressive though so would recommend 75g+.
55g Ruawre, Maingano, Caeruleus
55g Tropheops Sp.Chilumba, Perileucos, Demasoni
40g Aurifrons Sp.Mphanga, Nkali
33g Grow Out
20g Fry
10g Fry
ha77

Postby Kanorin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:25 pm

The Ps. 'elongatus spot' males that I mentioned are as close to black as mbuna get (at least when they are colored up and with females).
Another mbuna with neat coloration is the Met. 'zebra gold' kawanga
125G: C. aurifrons (luwino), trewavasae (thumbi west), saulosi, caeruleus (nkhata), rusties, S. multipunctatus.
Kanorin

Return to Lake Malawi Species