Lake Malawi Species • Breeding Blue Dolphins Hap. Moori in a 180 Gallon Aquarium

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Breeding Blue Dolphins Hap. Moori in a 180 Gallon Aquarium

Postby easywolf31 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Hello,

Can someone give me advice. I currently have a 140 gallon with one nice Blue Dolphin male 3" long that is stuck with Tanganyikan Cichlids. Today I am going to buy a 3" female. I am also planning to buy a 180 gallon aquarium sometime this month. Here are some questions:

1) How many males or females would be a good ratio? I was thinking 1 Male : 3-4 Females?
2) I also have 8 Kigoma Frontosas 1-2" in the 140 gallon with another 12 fish. My ideal situation would be to put the Frontosas with the Dolphins. Would it be possible to both breed the Frontosas and Blue Dolphins in the same 180 gallon aquarium. Once I figure out which ones are males I would give them away and keep 1 Male and 3-4 females.

In the end I would have about 8-10 Blue Dolphins and Frontosas in the 180 Gallon. I would bring the Ph to a constant 8-8.4, Temp 77-80F, Gh 10-18, Kh 6-12. I would also add nice piles of slate and limestone and make caves where only the fry and small ones can go through.

Is this a good idea? Can someone give me some advice?

Thanks!
125G 8 CF.Kigomas, 7 G.Mpimbwe, 5 G.Moba
N.Leleupi, J.Marlieri, 1 J.Regani, J.Transcriptus
N. Daffodil, Blue Dolphin
140G CF.Burundi, Bue Dolphins, N. Leleupi
N. Brichardi, N.Olivaceous, J.Dickfieldi
60G Jewel, Green Texas
75G 2 Blood Red Forest Jewels
easywolf31

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Breeding Blue Dolphins Hap. Moori in a 180 Gallon Aquari

Postby Fogelhund » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:15 pm

easywolf31 wrote:Hello,

Can someone give me advice. I currently have a 140 gallon with one nice Blue Dolphin male 3" long that is stuck with Tanganyikan Cichlids. Today I am going to buy a 3" female. I am also planning to buy a 180 gallon aquarium sometime this month. Here are some questions:

1) How many males or females would be a good ratio? I was thinking 1 Male : 3-4 Females?
2) I also have 8 Kigoma Frontosas 1-2" in the 140 gallon with another 12 fish. My ideal situation would be to put the Frontosas with the Dolphins. Would it be possible to both breed the Frontosas and Blue Dolphins in the same 180 gallon aquarium. Once I figure out which ones are males I would give them away and keep 1 Male and 3-4 females.

In the end I would have about 8-10 Blue Dolphins and Frontosas in the 180 Gallon. I would bring the Ph to a constant 8-8.4, Temp 77-80F, Gh 10-18, Kh 6-12. I would also add nice piles of slate and limestone and make caves where only the fry and small ones can go through.

Thanks!

1) 1 male to 4 females would be good in a 180
2) Yes, fronts and dolphins can be kept in the same tank, and bred

But... not many fry are going to survive this way... maybe a couple, not much more... whether you are ok with that, is up to you. If you want to save fry, you will have to remove the mothers, let them spit, or strip.
Fogelhund

Postby easywolf31 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:32 pm

Fogelhund wrote:
easywolf31 wrote:Hello,

Thanks!

1) 1 male to 4 females would be good in a 180
2) Yes, fronts and dolphins can be kept in the same tank, and bred

But... not many fry are going to survive this way... maybe a couple, not much more... whether you are ok with that, is up to you. If you want to save fry, you will have to remove the mothers, let them spit, or strip.

Hey Fogulhund, can I take out the mother when she's holding eggs and put her alone in a 60 gallon aquarium and remove her once tge fry are free swimming? Is this a good method? Than I can feed them live shrimp or crushed flakes and crushed dried daphnia?
60G Jewel, Green Texas
easywolf31

Postby Fogelhund » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:49 pm

You keep asking the same questions over and over again.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=414794

Fogelhund wrote:I can't remember where you live exactly, but to answer the question about whether it is worthwhile to breed to sell locally... well, you'd want to talk to local stores, as well as see what the market it is, on kijiji, or local buy and sells... plus maybe check out a local fish club. In the GTA, we can easily sell fish, in both pet shops and local ads... I seem to think you were in BC???

Blue dolphins and frontosa can be bred in the same tank, with no issues. I've got friends who have kept this mix together for decades.

Some people mix Juli and/or brichardi with fronts... but there is always the risk they will get eaten, and there will be conflicts with this mix... it's up to you really... If it were me... I'd move the fronts and dolphins to the 180 and start a new Tang tank in the 150 with brichardi and Julis if that is what you like.

----

Babies... starting babies in a 60 gallon is too big... if you strip babies.. a 10 gallon suffices to start. If you are letting them spit... a 15 gallon would suffice. I strip when the babies are fully formed, as then I don't have issues with reintroducing fish back into the social structure, but there are different opinions on that.

------

Keep whatever fish you want... raise some up, and see if there is a market... if there is, keeping raising... if not, let nature take it's course.

-------------

Personally, in a 180, I'd probably have 3 males of each and 5-8 females.... It comes down to the age old question... if you lose your one male... how are you going to replace it?

--- Baby brine shrimp, crushed flakes, daphnia are fine..
Fogelhund

Postby easywolf31 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:08 pm

Ok forgot what you wrote to me last time sorry...Thanks.

"Babies... starting babies in a 60 gallon is too big... if you strip babies.. a 10 gallon suffices to start. If you are letting them spit... a 15 gallon would suffice. I strip when the babies are fully formed, as then I don't have issues with reintroducing fish back into the social structure, but there are different opinions on that.

------

Keep whatever fish you want... raise some up, and see if there is a market... if there is, keeping raising... if not, let nature take it's course.

-------------

Personally, in a 180, I'd probably have 3 males of each and 5-8 females.... It comes down to the age old question... if you lose your one male... how are you going to replace it?"
60G Jewel, Green Texas
easywolf31

Postby easywolf31 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:16 pm

"Males will clear a pit out usually near a large rock or the corner of your aquarium tank. The female will circle around in the cleared pit and deposit her eggs. The male blue dolphin will then fertilize the eggs as the female scoops them up in her mouth.
The blue dolphin cichlid is a mouthbrooding cichlid and will carry their eggs 21-28 days on average. If you want to guarantee that you get fry from a spawn, I suggest you strip the female. Be careful attempting to catch a holding female cytocara moorii because they spit their eggs when frightened. I have had one of my females spit numerous times immediately when I catch her in the aquarium net. I have another female that I must strip every time. She holds very well."

"She will carry the brood of 20-90 eggs for up to 3 weeks before releasing the free swimming fry. She will not eat during this period and can be easily spotted by her distended mouth and brooding colouration of dark patterning. Female C. moorii are notorious for spitting out the brood early when stressed, so extreme care must be taken if you decide to move the fish. It is also worth noting that if a female is away from the colony for too long, she may lose her position in the pecking order of the group. We recommend waiting as long as possible before moving a female unless she is being harassed. Some breeders artificially strip the fry from the mother’s mouth at the 2 week stage and raise them from that point as this usually results in a larger number of fry.

The fry are large enough to accept brine shrimp nauplii and crushed flake food from the day they are released. If the female is left with her young, she will not harm them and will continue to take the fry into her mouth at night or when she senses danger for a few weeks. The fry grow very slowly indeed."
60G Jewel, Green Texas
easywolf31

Return to Lake Malawi Species