Lake Malawi Species • Observations from a mbuna newbie

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Observations from a mbuna newbie

Postby PDX Fishhead » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:25 pm

I have had my mbunas for about six weeks now and they are a lot of fun. First I want to say thanks to the great folks here who have answered my questions. I have obtained a lot of very helpful info from this forum, and elsewhere on this site. When I first started keeping fish about 50 years ago, we had only dial-up internet, so it was hard to access the kind of info available now. :D

It is funny though that sometimes the fish don't seem to have read "the book" on how they are to behave. I have 11 mainganos, and they are, so far among the most peaceful inhabitants in the tank. I have a cobue zebra who is the most territorial. He was the first to start to color up and staked out a fairly large territory. A socolosi just moved in next door and started home renovation. Thanks for the advice about putting rocks directly on the bottom of the tank before adding sand. If I had put the rocks on the sand, that side of the tank would have come tumbling down by now.

This is a great hobby. I can't wait to observe more and learn more as my mbunas play new tricks on me. Thanks again.
PDX Fishhead

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Observations from a mbuna newbie

Postby DJRansome » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:42 pm

The cobue is a surprise to me. All of the fish can be relatively peaceful if kept with the proper numbers in a right-sized tank.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby noki » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:47 pm

Mbuna vary, and will have different personalities but all show some variations on the same dominant behavior, and can all be "aggressive". Things can change over time. Be aware that Mbuna can get more difficult the bigger they get, mature adults 4-5" can be more trouble than 2-3" kids.
noki

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:00 am

You had dial up Internet 50 years ago? That's amazing!

I've had the same species of Cynotilapia. They were older than their tank mates, and my lone male was boss of a 6' tank. Unfortunately, when the other species grew up some and became sexually mature, he was no longer colored up 24/7. Only when spawning. I was warned about this. I hope yours doesn't experience the same as mine, as they are a brilliant species.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby PDX Fishhead » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:41 pm

My boss cobue got moved over one spot by the socolosi, but he is still chasing all comers, except the one socolosi, out of his digs.
PDX Fishhead

Return to Lake Malawi Species