Lake Malawi Species • Hap/Peacock Tank - Fish Scared/Labored Breathing.

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Hap/Peacock Tank - Fish Scared/Labored Breathing.

Postby Kaymondel » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:27 pm

Hello,

I have a 60 gallon, well established (4+ years) African cichlid tank.

I have done a 40% water change over the past 24 hours and today after work my fish seem frightened and seem to be gulping for air. They all ate, but sit generally towards the middle/bottom of the tank. I have tested Nitrates/Ammonia/Nitrites and those are at 10-15 ppm/0/0 respectively. I use seachem prime and add cichlid salt and ph buffer when adding new water to the tank.

I do have plenty of filtration (fluval 306 canister) and have a bubbler/stone inside as well.

I am at a loss as to what the issue could be, no fish outside of a blue hap has any sort of visible body damage. Though his body damage occurred when cleaning the tank yesterday.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I need more information added I can certainly do that.

Thank you!
Kaymondel

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Hap/Peacock Tank - Fish Scared/Labored Breathing.

Postby ha77 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:34 pm

My first thought would be lack of oxygen but you have an air stone so dont know? I would test tap water to make sure there isnt a drastic increase in chlorine etc.
Is the water temperature still 76-80 degrees?
Other then that I would say its an illness of some sort if everything else seems stable.
55g Ruawre, Maingano, Caeruleus
55g Tropheops Sp.Chilumba, Perileucos, Demasoni
40g Aurifrons Sp.Mphanga, Nkali
33g Grow Out
20g Fry
10g Fry
ha77

Postby Kaymondel » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:39 pm

ha77 wrote:My first thought would be lack of oxygen but you have an air stone so dont know? I would test tap water to make sure there isnt a drastic increase in chlorine etc.
Is the water temperature still 76-80 degrees?
Other then that I would say its an illness of some sort if everything else seems stable.

I'm going toretest the nitrates. No new fish have been added in quite some time, water is always between 76-80.

If it's high nitrates, I need to do a water change, correct?
Kaymondel

Postby DJRansome » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:04 pm

For me, fish gulping for air (actually breaking the surface) has had 1 of 2 causes: nitrites or oxygen. You tested for nitrites. To see if oxygen is the problem I often just throw on a HOB filter...even with no media...just to see if the extra surface disruption gets the fish to stop gasping.

If they are not breaking the surface, a fish who feels harassed will lurk just under the surface. What are the dimensions of the tank and what is the stock list?
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:27 pm

I'd consider the 306 on the light side for filtration. Regardless, make sure your output is breaking the surface causing plenty of agitation. Better yet, at least for now, raise it out of the water so it's crashing into the tank. Kind of like what DJ described with the HOB.
Iggy Newcastle

Return to Lake Malawi Species