Lake Malawi Species • To get rid of a fish or not?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: To get rid of a fish or not?

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:28 am

gillmanjr wrote:Guys, I have a quick question for you. It has nothing to do with this thread but I figured it wasn't worth another thread:

Is there any substantial difference in stocking options between a 48x24" tank vs. a 48x18"?

I have actually been considering a 48" tank, there is a place that I could just barely squeeze one, but the width of the tank would be the more crucial deciding factor. I'd prefer wider but a 24" wide tank is going to stick out substantially in the place I will be putting it. If the options for stocking aren't that different I figure just go with an 18" tank. Based on my observations of my tank so far I would think the 24" dimension vs only 18" would make a difference.

So it would make a difference, but the 48x18 is a fine footprint and will allow you to keep many of the Mbuna species available in the hobby. If you're filtering only with canisters you can get the tank pretty tight to the wall. The advantage of additional depth is that your stocking options open up, but it also makes scaping the tank with larger boulders/rockwork easier.
Iggy Newcastle

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby gillmanjr » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:58 am

I have baseboard radiators in the room where my tank is and where a 48" would go so being tight to the wall doesn't matter anyway, I would have an overflow box and sump setup either way. Actually the Eshopps box I have is the exact same thickness as the radiators so it works out well.
gillmanjr

Postby gillmanjr » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:50 pm

I made a disturbing discovery just a short time ago. I went to look at a 75 gallon tank (48x18) that was listed for sale on craigslist and the guy selling it still had it setup in his home and had Mbunas still in the tank. They were fully grown, fully mature mbunas, a few different species including Red Zebras. Anyway that was the first time I had ever seen fully mature mbunas in person and boy o boy did I underestimate their size. :o I honestly had no idea they got that large. Obviously I had read everywhere that they grow up to 6" but actually seeing them in person really changed my perspective. I thought my fish were roughly half their full grown size but its pretty clear to me now that they aren't even close. To top it off a lot of his female fish had serious injuries and fin damage and in fact some had fins that were completely gone, torn off. I have to admit that it seems like my 50 gallon corner tank is going to be completely inadequate. I don't even think I want to try and keep one species in my tank, let alone what I currently have. Even the 75 gallon this guy had seemed inadequate for them, at least to me. But I'm going to buy it and I may just keep one dwarf species, perhaps Saulosi...
gillmanjr

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:29 pm

People often over feed. So the fish grow much larger, and fatter. No doubt the stocking was not ideal, so busted up fish is the result. I saw a Labeotropheus in an LFS that someone had recently dropped off. It was easily 8" and tubby. A complete monster.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby Kevin in Ky » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:38 pm

gillmanjr wrote:I made a disturbing discovery just a short time ago. I went to look at a 75 gallon tank (48x18) that was listed for sale on craigslist and the guy selling it still had it setup in his home and had Mbunas still in the tank. They were fully grown, fully mature mbunas, a few different species including Red Zebras. Anyway that was the first time I had ever seen fully mature mbunas in person and boy o boy did I underestimate their size. :o I honestly had no idea they got that large. Obviously I had read everywhere that they grow up to 6" but actually seeing them in person really changed my perspective. I thought my fish were roughly half their full grown size but its pretty clear to me now that they aren't even close. To top it off a lot of his female fish had serious injuries and fin damage and in fact some had fins that were completely gone, torn off. I have to admit that it seems like my 50 gallon corner tank is going to be completely inadequate. I don't even think I want to try and keep one species in my tank, let alone what I currently have. Even the 75 gallon this guy had seemed inadequate for them, at least to me. But I'm going to buy it and I may just keep one dwarf species, perhaps Saulosi...

A 75g Saulosi tank would be perfect! I would pick the one most likely male Rusty and all potential females (for a group of maybe 4 or 5) from the fish you have..and then maybe 10 or so Saulosi. Then rehome the others.
125g Met Msobo - White Labs - Acei (White Tail) - Troph Elong Boadzulu - Cyno Jalo Reef -Petricola Catfish
55g Demasoni - Yellow Labs - Acei
55g Cyno Hara - Met Estherae - Rusty
29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
20g 'Lamprologus' ocellatus ''Gold''
Kevin in Ky

Postby gillmanjr » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:26 pm

Iggy Newcastle wrote:People often over feed. So the fish grow much larger, and fatter. No doubt the stocking was not ideal, so busted up fish is the result. I saw a Labeotropheus in an LFS that someone had recently dropped off. It was easily 8" and tubby. A complete monster.

Maybe you're right and they were overfed and bigger than they should have been because it really seemed to me like they were just too large a fish to be kept in that tank. Even one of them. I couldn't have that because it would stress me out just to look at them.
gillmanjr

Previous

Return to Lake Malawi Species