Lake Malawi Species • 36 gallon bowfront stocking

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

36 gallon bowfront stocking

Postby aquatame » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:24 pm

I currently have a 36 gallon bowfront with the following fish.
5 smallish Tropheops macrophthalmus, sold as yellow labs but found out they are Tropheops via the article on the home page. Looks like 3 males and two females.
I also have 4 zebra obliquedens, 1 male and 3 females.
My long term plan is to stock a 72 inch 125 gallon.
Do you guys think the current mix will be ok in the 36 gallon for a while? My main concern would be aggression between the Tropheops macrophthalmus.
Thanks
Jon
aquatame

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 36 gallon bowfront stocking

Postby noki » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:04 pm

Seems unlikely that true Tropheops macrophthalmus would be sold unnamed, what do the females look like? Figure out what you have, and whether you really want them.

A smallish tank just makes things difficult. Now if the fish are juvenile under 2.5"/ 6cm then they should be fine but with mature fish things can get violent. You just need more numbers of fish, and more room for them to run from another fish. I've seen the "Zebra Obliquidens" act quite territorial, and if Tropheops they act like Mbuna and don't always do well with low stocking numbers.
noki

Postby DJRansome » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:21 am

A 36G bowfront is a 30" tank. I would not keep the fish you mentioned in a 30" tank. How long before you have the 72" tank?
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:31 am

How long this will continue to work, depends on how big the fish are now. It's fine now... but you've got to think in terms of needing to change somewhere in the 3-6 month range... If these fish are 1", you've got more time... if they are 2" or bigger, you've got the shorter amount of time.... so, you better get working on that new tank.
Fogelhund

Postby aquatame » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:09 am

noki wrote:Seems unlikely that true Tropheops macrophthalmus would be sold unnamed, what do the females look like? Figure out what you have, and whether you really want them.

A smallish tank just makes things difficult. Now if the fish are juvenile under 2.5"/ 6cm then they should be fine but with mature fish things can get violent. You just need more numbers of fish, and more room for them to run from another fish. I've seen the "Zebra Obliquidens" act quite territorial, and if Tropheops they act like Mbuna and don't always do well with low stocking numbers.

Definately Tropheops macrophthalmus, the females are more of a white colour. My fish even have the spot on the spot on the tail.
I am new to Cichlids and the person I got them from is not really a proper store but rather someone local who rescues unwanted pets and re-homes them.
aquatame

Postby aquatame » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:11 am

DJRansome wrote:A 36G bowfront is a 30" tank. I would not keep the fish you mentioned in a 30" tank. How long before you have the 72" tank?

I guess the plan was in around 6 months or so.....
I may have to expedite that of set up another small tank until then.
aquatame

Postby aquatame » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:12 am

Fogelhund wrote:How long this will continue to work, depends on how big the fish are now. It's fine now... but you've got to think in terms of needing to change somewhere in the 3-6 month range... If these fish are 1", you've got more time... if they are 2" or bigger, you've got the shorter amount of time.... so, you better get working on that new tank.

They are already around 2 inches.....
aquatame

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:39 am

If you want a confirmation of species, post a few pictures of the fish in question. Tropheops are typically an aggressive genus. At 2", they are going to start showing signs of attempts to spawn, and males fighting for dominance. You've got a couple to three months at best with these fish...
Fogelhund

Postby aquatame » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:34 pm

How do i add photos to this post?
aquatame

Postby aquatame » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:54 pm

Here are some photos
aquatame

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:24 pm

They are not Tropheops.

Likely Lab hybrids.
Fogelhund

Postby noki » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:51 am

They are probably Yellow Lab mixed with Red Zebra hybrids, which are quite common mass market cichlids, they are colorful and sell. The spot on the lower rear fin is an eggspot, a common trait with such cichlids.
noki

Postby aquatame » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:38 am

Ok thanks folks.
Does the fact that they are not Tropheops and actually yellow lab hybrids mean I have less of an urgent problem with keeping 5 together in the 36 gallon along with 4 Zebra Obiquliens?
aquatame

Postby DJRansome » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:51 am

I think you still have 3 months, but the fish are more likely to survive intact at the end of that period with the less aggressive species.

Hybrids can be more aggressive than the pure species...and red zebra is not a peaceful fish.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Fogelhund » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:49 am

aquatame wrote:Ok thanks folks.
Does the fact that they are not Tropheops and actually yellow lab hybrids mean I have less of an urgent problem with keeping 5 together in the 36 gallon along with 4 Zebra Obiquliens?

It probably does help... but not a lot. Tropheops can be VERY aggressive... as opposed to Red Zebras, or unpredictable hybrids, that are just "aggressive". As DJ says... still doesn't really give you a great deal of time.
Fogelhund

Next

Return to Lake Malawi Species