Lake Malawi Species • 125 gallon setup

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: 125 gallon setup

Postby DJRansome » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:17 pm

Synodontis can easily live over 30 years. Fogelhund had one that long. Very hardy fish...my only Syno deaths were huge fishkeeper mistakes.

I have many Synodontis with me for all of my 10 years keeping cichlids, and many of them were estimated to be 7 years old before I acquired them.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby james1983 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:08 pm

MBurly wrote:Hey guys I'm sure a lot of you have moved on from this post but hopefully someone can help. I've kept cory cats in the past and was wondering what you guys thought about putting them in the tank? Or any other non-cichlid fish

I would avoid Cory's. If they fit in the cichlid's mouth it makes a bad situation for you, the cory, and the cichlid. I had my 3" polleni try to eat one Saturday. I had to use manicure scissors to clip off the dead cory's fins to pull it out of the polleni's mouth. He had a fin coming out of his nose and chin. Definitely go with synos. They are large enough not to be eaten and don't take #%$& from anyone.
james1983

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:32 pm

Ouch...
Iggy Newcastle

Postby MBurly » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:42 pm

So staying away from Corys haha, I figured that would be the response but just thought I'd check. I've never really kept catfish before, I had a few pimelodies in a tank prior to keeping cichlids but never had the best of luck with them. I've always wanted a red tail or tiger shovel nose but keeping them in tank, in my eyes, would be inhumane because I could never give them the space they need.

Should I stray from white labs with yellows because of spawning?
MBurly

Postby MBurly » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:45 pm

Also thanks for the replys, it's really nice to have conversations about this. I dont have an LFS like I used too when I was in college. I could go in there and pick eveyones brain for a long time and learn a ton about the hobby
MBurly

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:05 pm

The forum allows one to discuss fish to get their fill and not drive one's spouse crazy... mine can only take so much cichlid talk

Yes, avoid White and Yellow labs together. Same species, but different collection points/localities in the Lake.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby dorsal73 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:46 pm

Iggy Newcastle wrote:The forum allows one to discuss fish to get their fill and not drive one's spouse crazy... mine can only take so much cichlid talk

+1 - only 8 months into the hobby and my family and ladyfriend all get this glazed / pained look in their eyes whenever I open my mouth about my fish :fish:
dorsal73

Postby MBurly » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:10 pm

Thanks for all of the feedback! Fish have been ordered and cannot wait, population soon to be:

5 yellow tail acei
4 white tail acei
7 yellow labs
1 kenyi (awesome/dosile female)
1 bumblebee
4 synodontis petricola
MBurly

Postby Fogelhund » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:13 am

You really should only have one type of acei..
Fogelhund

Postby MBurly » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:54 am

I know that was stated earlier but I have now way to get rid of them....they shipped on accident instead of yellow tail. I will not be keeping any fry so hybrids will not be an issue
MBurly

Postby DJRansome » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:31 am

Note the "petricola" are likely lucipinnis. They might help with any survivor fry.

I have only seen true petricola for sale once in the last 10 years in the US. But I've got 2 dozen lucipinnis that were sold to me as true petricola, and 2 dozen additional fish for sale as true petricola that I DIDN'T buy (having learned) that were lucipinnis.

Nothing wrong with lucipinnis...I love them, but nice to know the actual name of your fish. Importers call any small Syno with a white edge on the dorsal petricola and retailers sell them as whatever they were imported as.

I've also gotten tanganaicae sold as petricola. See my post on planetcatfish.com from years back.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:22 am

You should definitely do some looking around for places that will take fish as a credit or donation. This is important with mbuna, just as is a hospital/rehome tank. It's important when keeping any fish, but especially mbuna as things can escalate quickly. I've heard some Petco stores will take fish in as a donation.

Click on the 'Clubs' tab at the top and see if there are any active fish/cichlid groups in your area.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby DJRansome » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:33 am

We have people coming from Buffalo to our auctions in Union, NJ. Next one is September 24. Spring and fall.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby tanker3 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:42 pm

DJRansome wrote:We have people coming from Buffalo to our auctions in Union, NJ. Next one is September 24. Spring and fall.

Yes, I sell/trade my extra males, or other unwanted fishes at my local "cichlid Club" too.
75gal Tank White Labs, White Top Haras, Met. Membe Deep
58gal Tank Ps. Saulosi , Lab. Perlmutt
tanker3

Postby MBurly » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:54 pm

The synos. are definitely lucipinnis.
Thanks for the heads up on the clubs, never would have thought of that. There is a store about an hour out but I only take fish they're when I hit desperation mode....ex. a male Kenyi that was sold from an LFS as a peaceful fish. HA, that's what I get for taking their word when I first started cichlid keeping. He was a beautiful fish but an absolute terror
MBurly

Previous

Return to Lake Malawi Species