Lake Malawi Species • 125 gallon setup

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

125 gallon setup

Postby MBurly » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:58 pm

Hi guys, I'm not sure how the threads and topics work so if this is in the wrong section I apologize. I have a 125 gallon tank(long) and I'm curious as to what others have had success with.

I currently have:
2 yellow tail acei
4 white acei
7 yellow labs
1 bumblee
1 kenyi

The kenyi is a very dosile female. She is the only one I kept from the previous tank.

I've done a ton of research and I can't pull the trigger on what to add. I'd really like to keep the tank as peaceful as possible. Any suggestions that have worked for you?

Thanks!!
MBurly

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 125 gallon setup

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:23 pm

Welcome to C-F

A 125 is a great tank to work with.

Do you have white tailed acei? Keeping 2 variants of the same species can lead to hybridization. For a 'peaceful' tank you have some good pieces, like the labs and acei. Bumblebee and Kenyi, not so much.

You could do up to 4-5 groups of Mbuna, for sure. But I'd narrow it down to your yellow labs and pick one species of Acei. Remove the others and build from there. Popular and common species like Maingano, Elongatus types, Cynotilapia, Rusties, Labeotropheus are all options. The possible combos are pretty vast, but there are some basic guidelines. You could build up your Crabo and Kenyi groups as well, but these fish carry a bad reputation for over the top aggression. There's no sure fire stocking option that works 100% of the time. Basically choose the fish that are a must have and build around that. Folks here have a lot of experience and will help you narrow down your selections.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby DJRansome » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:44 pm

Some people recommend that when stocking very aggressive species like crabro and kenyi you go with 3 species and 1m:7f of each with careful aquascaping.

I would probably rehome those, choose one acei species and add 3 more species to total 5 species. 1m:4f of each and it will be a great tank.

If you keep the white tailed acei...you could add Cynotilapia sp. hara and Iodotropheus sprengerae as 2 additional species.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Fogelhund » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:05 am

As has been suggested above, the kenyi is a female, has been in the tank for some time, and isn't causing issues. No need to fix things that aren't broken. The point is correct though, typically crabro and kenyi males can be large problem sources in the aquarium.

What would I do personally? Get rid of the white tail acei, and get another 6 yellow tailed acei... why? Because I find them more attractive, and they are likely to breed... better to have pure babies...

I would look to add in some fish that will compliment the others...

Something like a Cynotilapia species... a Hara, Cobue or Nkhata Bay or "kingsizei" are all spectacular fish.

Perhaps a Labeotropheus... I'd get an OB red top type....
Fogelhund

Postby MBurly » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:16 am

Thanks for all the responses, this site is awesome! The I'be had for about 2 years and she is awesome, literally no aggression. As for the White Acei, I started with 2 yellow tail and I ordered what I thought was 5 yellow tail from <vendor name removed> and when they arrived they were white acei. I had a Kenyi tank in the past and they bred like crazy, so I no longer have the desire to keep and raise fry. Hopefully that will eliminate the possibility of any hybrids.

My main problem is that I do not have a good LFS. There is one close buy but the service sucks and their selection is worse. I would love to get some rustys but I can't find any where to get them. Any recommendations?
Last edited by DJRansome on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cichlid-forum would like to keep review-type information out of the forums, and in the Reviews section instead.
MBurly

Postby MBurly » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:44 am

The Kenyi I've had for two years* That was sent from my phone and apparently thats what autocorrect gave me. Also, do people get offended for not using scientific names, bumblebee/crabro?

I would really love to get 6 or 7 rustys, but like I stated earlier my LFS is pretty bad. I've spent hundreds of dollars there trying to be loyal over the last few years. They promised to order my requests of fish but as I said earlier...terrible service.
MBurly

Postby DJRansome » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:47 pm

The suggestion is to have fewer groups and make the existing groups larger. Just having a female kenyi and no male does not eliminate the possibility of hybrids...any of the males can spawn with the female kenyi or the lone bumblebee...the acei white and yellow can spawn together and produce hybrids. You reduce the risk by having plenty of females for each male and avoiding closely related species like yellow-tail and white-tail acei.

I would not just add rusties to what you have. PM sent for a source. We are not offended by common names, this reply is loaded with common names. But having the scientific name avoids mixing up two species with the same common name (example electric blue) and also enables the Members to look up the fish in the profiles.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby MBurly » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:23 pm

Hey guys I'm sure a lot of you have moved on from this post but hopefully someone can help. I've kept cory cats in the past and was wondering what you guys thought about putting them in the tank? Or any other non-cichlid fish
MBurly

Postby Fogelhund » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:34 pm

MBurly wrote:Hey guys I'm sure a lot of you have moved on from this post but hopefully someone can help. I've kept cory cats in the past and was wondering what you guys thought about putting them in the tank? Or any other non-cichlid fish

They'd likely get killed within a week. Synodontis multipunctatus, petricola or lucipinnis are your best mixes, though there are other Synodontis that can work too.
Fogelhund

Postby MBurly » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:57 am

Also I just wanted to thank you guys again, when I first got into this I bought a "Lake Malawi Cichlids Book" just to have as a reference but using your guys' suggestions I've learned a ton more. Which is half the fun of the hobby right?

I have a few questions on the break down of the species, are all the suggested fish under Mbuna? (Cynotalapia, Labeotropheus, Iodotropheus). Then even further, you suggested a Labeotropheus OB or Red Top. Are those considered to be Labeotropheus trewavasae and just a color variation or are they completely different?
MBurly

Postby Fogelhund » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:50 pm

All of those fish suggested are indeed mbuna.

When I suggested a red top, or OB red top Labeotropheus... they are colour variants, that occur at different locations... the thing is, both fulleborni and trewavassae come in such colours. Just get whatever is available near you, as it won't matter which you can get.
Fogelhund

Postby MBurly » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Why would synodontis last longer than the corys. I know the size difference but are they more hardy of a fish?
MBurly

Postby MBurly » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:11 pm

Also, does anyone have experiences with white labs? They look really sharp but are they a hybrid that'll have a nasty temperament or are they pretty laid back like the yellows?
MBurly

Postby Fogelhund » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:17 pm

MBurly wrote:Why would synodontis last longer than the corys. I know the size difference but are they more hardy of a fish?

Synos have a tough skin, and are also capable of fighting back. Corys really have no defense, and are easily killed. Synos also can be found in these lakes, with the cichlids in africa.
Fogelhund

Postby Fogelhund » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:18 pm

MBurly wrote:Also, does anyone have experiences with white labs? They look really sharp but are they a hybrid that'll have a nasty temperament or are they pretty laid back like the yellows?

Well... there are naturally white labs. They are Labidochromis caeruleus, just a different location and colour than the yellows. They have the same temperament as the yellows. Assuming that they are pure of course, and not hybridized in the hobby.

Having said that, you don't want to mix them in a tank with yellows.
Fogelhund

Next

Return to Lake Malawi Species