Illness, Health & Nutrition • Four fish not eating, looks like white stringy poop...

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderator: Robin

Re: Four fish not eating, looks like white stringy poop...

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:12 pm

General Cure works but is expensive, especially when treating your whole tank. PM me for a pure Metro source if intereseted.
Iggy Newcastle

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby 20-20 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:00 pm

Iggy Newcastle wrote:General Cure works but is expensive, especially when treating your whole tank. PM me for a pure Metro source if intereseted.

PM sent.
20-20

Postby 20-20 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:12 pm

Question on treatment procedure. The article linked to early has this as the treatment procedure:

Add 250mg metronidazole for every 10 gallons daily for 5-10 days with each dosage preceded by a 30-40% water change. If after 5 treatments you've noticed an improvement as well as a bowel movement, attempt feeding metro treated food, otherwise, wait 24 hours and begin treatment again, starting with a 30% water change. Remove any uneaten food after 5-10 minutes. If eating and bowel movements return to normal, continue the metro treated food for a further 3 days with water changes before each feeding.

Round up to 80 gallons (75 gallon tank) that's 1000mg for each full treatment. Is the amount of metronidazole to use each day calculated on the amount of water changed, or the full tank volume each day? I assume full tank volume, but figured I'd ask.
20-20

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:43 pm

Full tank volume.

Metronidazole stays active for approx 8 hours. So an alternative approach is to dose in the morning, then water change/dose in the evening. Double dose will not harm the fish and I would advise doing so in your case.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby 20-20 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:34 am

Heh, I have a bachelors in mathematics, but I still can't do simple multiplication. 2000 mg per dose, not 1000. I'd like to claim a simple typo, but... :lol:
20-20

Postby 20-20 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:25 am

Since Monday I've been dosing heavily, twice what that article suggests, which makes if 4 - 6 times as much as the directions on the medicine indicates. Dosing 2000 mg in the morning, doing a 50% water change in the evening and again dosing 2000 mg. Also have been keeping the lights off, and not feeding. Fish have been calm, hardly any aggression, just normal minor stuff. The affected fish seem to be moving a bit more normally, the one who's belly was bloated looks almost back to normal now. But, I tried to feed them this morning, they still won't eat.

So, continue with the treatment as I've been doing it? Do something differently?
20-20

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:31 pm

I'd go for up to 10 days.

I'd make up a batch of medicated food as well. I believe it explains that in the bloat article
Iggy Newcastle

Postby 20-20 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:35 pm

Thanks for the tip on the vendor, Iggy, that'll come in handy going up to 10 days. Significantly cheaper!
20-20

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:49 pm

No problem. Just passing along that info I got years ago from a fellow member... Pay it forward :wink:
Iggy Newcastle

Postby 20-20 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:53 pm

Metro finally came yesterday (thanks again, Iggy!). I ran out of it last Friday, so I haven't been dosing, feeding, or doing any water changes since then. Last night I dosed the Metro and also fed some flakes. The 4 fish in question, while acting a bit better, still didn't eat. This morning I dosed again. I just fed the tank some metro soaked brine shrimp, and two of the four ate like little pigs. The two who aren't eating yet are a Cyrtocara moorii/blue dolphin and a Sciaenochromis fryeri/electric blue ahli. Here's my plan... 50% water change now, dose Metro again tonight. Dose metro every morning and night, do a 50% water change tomorrow night before dosing, and maybe again Friday. Feed lightly one a day with metro soaked food. Continue thoughout the week, until all fish are eating again (or, I hate to say it, the two remaining are deceased). Anyone see anything wrong with that plan, or anything I could be doing differently/better?
20-20

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:06 pm

Looks good and glad 2 have came out of it.
What did you normally feed them? Before the bloat? You could try dosing that food as well.
Iggy Newcastle

Previous

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition