Lake Malawi Species • Grow out tank

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Grow out tank

Postby XT4900 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:23 pm

Hi so long story short im pretty new still and i made my first mistake witch was putting a 1in or less cichlid in with my around 3in ones and needless to say they ate it so i was wondering i want to get a yellow lab or 2 but 1 is fine and iv got a cycling 10gal tank thats empty so i was wondering if i can use that as a grow out tank untill its about 2in the 10gal is bare bottom and has no decor and to help cycle i can put water from my big tank in to it so please tell me if that will work
XT4900

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Grow out tank

Postby tanker3 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:05 pm

I do not think a fish will grow to 2" in a 10gal.
75gal Tank White Labs, White Top Haras, Met. Membe Deep
58gal Tank Ps. Saulosi , Lab. Perlmutt
30gal Tank Juvie tank
tanker3

Postby DJRansome » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:04 pm

They should not get eaten if they are 1.5" including tail. But of course you want to add a group...not a single fish or even two fish.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby XT4900 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:05 pm

Alright thank you. But i have a diffrent question thats just a short little one so in my african tank there is like no aggression beside a like 2 second chase every once in a while and one of my red zebras has eggs even and my ob peacock has been getting lots of color so im just wanting to know if somthing is wrong or i just got lucky. p.s iv got hard well water and my tank is fully cycled and i do water changes every 1 and a half weeks and top off the water every few days and i have evrything i need to have a very good tank because i love my my fish lol.
XT4900

Postby DJRansome » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:24 pm

What are you afraid is wrong? Why do you think you are lucky? Because the zebra is holding and the peacock is colored?
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby XT4900 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:50 pm

Oh no i was worried that something was wrong because my africans are peacefull and like EVERY one iv talked to says that the SUPER aggressive and mine are not so i just want to know if i ethir got lucky or if there stressed of something like that. ps these are my first ever fish besides gold fish
XT4900

Postby DJRansome » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:10 pm

If you have the right fish stocked in the right sized tank and you have had them for more than a year...then you have done a good job of giving the fish what they need and luck has little to do with it, congratulations!

Clearly they are not 100% peaceful because they ate the newcomer. :thumb:

What are the dimensions of your tank? What are the species and genders? How long have they been together?
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby XT4900 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:46 pm

2FT wide 2 1/2 feet high and 4ft long so a pretty big tank and i got the first fish the first day of 2017 and i do not know the gender but there are 2 red zebras 1 ob peacock 1 peacock 1 yellow tail acei wich when i got it the person getting it out of the tank dropped it probobly 4-5 on to a tile floor but its %100 fine now lol then 1 that i dont know i got it from a assorted african cichlid tank but its like a light brown with very light black bars on it and then a pleco wich im going to get rid of when it gets to big i know a pretty nice fish store near me then 5 minnows and for the last 2 fish yall going to think im stupid for but hear me out so i took a chance about a month ago i got a black convict and a jackdempsey probobly around a inch but i very slowly added my tank water in a bucket with them in it to get them to the right ph because i read that they should be fine with diffrent ph if you start then young and my backup plane was my brother has a 35gal and 2 40gal longs and 2 of them had convicts in them so is they started trying to kill echother he will take them and as i said no one bothers echother at all there getting a long and the africans are about 3-4 1/2in long and right now the americans are a little bit bigger then 1in and i have plenty of hiding places and im some time i want to add a yellow lab and a albino if possible sorry for spelling im not the best lol
XT4900

Postby ha77 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:27 pm

XT4900 wrote:2FT wide 2 1/2 feet high and 4ft long so a pretty big tank and i got the first fish the first day of 2017 and i do not know the gender but there are 2 red zebras 1 ob peacock 1 peacock 1 yellow tail acei wich when i got it the person getting it out of the tank dropped it probobly 4-5 on to a tile floor but its %100 fine now lol then 1 that i dont know i got it from a assorted african cichlid tank but its like a light brown with very light black bars on it and then a pleco wich im going to get rid of when it gets to big i know a pretty nice fish store near me then 5 minnows and for the last 2 fish yall going to think im stupid for but hear me out so i took a chance about a month ago i got a black convict and a jackdempsey probobly around a inch but i very slowly added my tank water in a bucket with them in it to get them to the right ph because i read that they should be fine with diffrent ph if you start then young and my backup plane was my brother has a 35gal and 2 40gal longs and 2 of them had convicts in them so is they started trying to kill echother he will take them and as i said no one bothers echother at all there getting a long and the africans are about 3-4 1/2in long and right now the americans are a little bit bigger then 1in and i have plenty of hiding places and im some time i want to add a yellow lab and a albino if possible sorry for spelling im not the best lol

I got this guys!

First fish added on January 1
Tank= 4ft - 150g??
Has a LFS nearby and a brother where he/she can re home fish.

Stock List
2 red zebras
1 Acei that got dropped on his head but its all gooood 8)
1 OB Peacock
1 Peacock
5 minnows
1 Black Convict
1 Jack Dempsey
1 Pleco

My jobs done here. As for advice ill leave that to you DJR.
55g Cyno Sp. Nkhata Bay, Nkali, Ruarwe
40gL Msobo, Maingano, Demasoni
ha77

Postby XT4900 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:32 pm

Oh heck yeh bro Thanks!
XT4900

Postby DJRansome » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:30 pm

The question was...am I just lucky. Yes!! And your fish are young...just playful...no serious business as yet.

I predict you are likely to have problems before a year is out. Don't save fry. And I would not add a yellow lab unless you absolutely don't want to save fry.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species