Lake Malawi Species • Fish out of water...?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Fish out of water...?

Postby jpbdh4 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:43 pm

Curious to as how long some have gone and made it out of water. I've had some not make it minutes. Last night I had an OB jump ship. Heard the cats messing with what I thought was a toy at 11p. Curiosity got the best of me at 3a. Not a toy but OB. Super dusty and not moving. Scooped him up and did an animal planet like swoosh back and forth to get something going as I have no idea what to do and let him loose. Sank like a rock, bounced off the bottom then back to life. Crazy.
jpbdh4

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Fish out of water...?

Postby DJRansome » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:15 pm

I've had plecos make it more than a day. But Africans...only minutes.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby BuckeyeTez » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:52 pm

I was converting from small gravel to sand and had all my fish in a bucket. One of my Venestus managed to jump out from the time I put them all in to getting a lid set on top. I would say he was out of water for a good 2 hrs before I put them all back in the tank and went looking for a fish I was missing. He was all dry and not moving but I remember reading that a fish is not dead until it's dead in water. I threw him back into the tank and within seconds he was swimming around.
125g 6' w/FX6, AC100, 2x eheim heater, inkbird temp controller, 48" Finnex planted 24/7+ LED, Hydor power heads. 18x All male Peacock/Hap tank. 4-7", 6x Syno Multi.
BuckeyeTez

Postby DutchAJ » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:34 pm

Those are 2 great stories! I would've never guessed they could survive that long.
75 G- Saulosi (Taiwanee), Yellow Tail Acei (Luwala), & Rusties
DutchAJ

Postby ha77 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:13 pm

I had one of my Mpanags get stuck in between two rocks when I took them out somehow. Probably about 3-4 minutes before i heard a floppy sound coming from the pile of rocks on the floor. Found him and tossed him back in expecting a dead fish. He was a little dazed but survived no problem. Double check your rocks kids.
55g Cyno Sp. Nkhata Bay, Nkali, Ruarwe
40gL Msobo, Maingano, Demasoni
ha77

Postby CraGunner » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:38 pm

Bought my first tank used with some convicts in it. Gave them all away, pulled out the decorations and gravel, drained it, washed everything real good, then put it back together. The decorations were out of water for well over an hour. I filled it back up and started the filter to keep the bacteria alive. The next morning I found a 3.5 inch convict swimming around in that tank. He must have been hiding in one of the decorations, one of those plastic castles, out of the water for what had to have been almost 2 hours! Could not believe what I was seeing.
75g Mbuna/ Afra Blaze, Lime Nkhomo Mbenji, Rusties, Saulosi, Green Dragon Pleco, Acei, OB Peacock, Cobue, Perlmutt, Maingano
CraGunner

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:14 am

Those stories are almost unbelievable.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby MyNamesAJeff » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:48 pm

Ugh... I had my otter point (which I bought for 2.99 at petsmart as a juvie) who had developed INCREDIBLY...jump out the other day, likely while i was at work. Came home and couldn't find him - looked in the back of the tank to find him on the floor stiff as a board..

Really wish I had read this thread earlier in the week..
110g All Male Peacock / Hap
MyNamesAJeff

Return to Lake Malawi Species