Lake Malawi Species • New 50g malawi

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

New 50g malawi

Postby Zeesho » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:56 pm

Hello guys,

first of all I would like to say hi to all of you, i've been lurking around for a while and this is my first post.

I'm quite new to fishkeeping so I'll be happy for any advice :). Long story short, I bought a 50g (40x16x21) tank, cycled it and stocked with 3 small plecos + 12 cichlids - 6 species mix of aulonocaras and mbunas in pairs (Demasoni, Red zebras, Yellow labs, Cynotilapia pulpican, Aulonocara sp. fire fish, Aulonocara maylandi). My LFS told me that such combination will be fine since they are all malawi cichlids... Fortunately I started to search around forums a lot and found out it was a ticking bomb. So I decided to have demasoni/yellow labs combo. I didn't want to give away all my fish, I kept 2 extra red zebras and 2 aulonocaras sp. fire fish and purchased more demasoni+yellow labs. I found out that red zebras might cross breed with yellow labs so I'm going to remove them from the tank aswell. Also the blue light in the back will be changed to white soon.

So I wanted to ask you guys, will the stocking below be okay when fish become adult for 50g tank? What do you think about 2 Aulonocaras in this setup? I wanted to give them a try until all fish become adult. I hope there are enough caves, I plan to add few more lava rocks and move the Anubiases. Water parameters are good, I'm doing 40% water change every week (sometimes more often :D ) while trying to suck out debris from top of the sand and I plan to gravel vac free space every two weeks. But I'm wondering, how often should I remove the rocks and clean underneath them?

Sorry for so many questions, all answers are greatly appreciated :)!

Thank you for your time.

Filtration: Jbl cristalprofi e901 - 980 litres per hour (259gph)

Current stocking:

15 Pseudotropheus demasoni
5 Labidochromis caeruleus
2 Aulonocara sp. fire fish
2 Pseudotropheus red zebra (to be removed)
3 Small plecos

Zeesho

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: New 50g malawi

Postby DJRansome » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:39 pm

It's a smallish tank so I would remove everything but the demasoni and the labs. Shoot for 12 demasoni after removing extra males and 5 labs.

You never have to remove the rocks providing you put them in first...then the substrate. Nothing can get underneath.

Allow enough room all the way around the rocks for the siphon to vacuum the substrate weekly.

Use a turkey baster to blast debris from between the rocks if your filter does not have enough GPH to blast it out continuously.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species