Lake Malawi Species • Breeding?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Breeding?

Postby Melanddave6571 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:40 pm

so my fish have reached sexual maturity. Right now I have 3 females holding. But the females are not the same species as the males who I think are doing it. Is that typical in the wild? So yes, I have Hybrids now but I let the circle of life do it's thing. I have 6 babies and I know who the mother is. She herself is hybrid maybe part Johanni. The other is blue. The only 2 males are the Joanni and the Auratus as far as I can tell. Wow, they reproduce like rabbits. Seems the smart babies find hiding and now 2 are big enough to swim with the others. I'd say about 3/4 of an inch long. And I can't imagine getting rid of any fish. The big question is about cross-breeding.
Melissa

75 Gallon tank
1 auratus
2 Yellow Acei
1 Johanni
2 Kenyi
1 Yellow lab
2 Pseudotropheus Socolofi
1 Red Top Zebra albino
1 Electric Blue Johanni
1 Red Top orange
2 Feather Fin
and so far last I counted 6 babies
Melanddave6571

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Breeding?

Postby ha77 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:31 pm

Very uncommon in the wild.
Many people keep hybrids but do not recommend selling them/trading.
Cichlids can potentially breed with any other species and usually will if they do not have a enough females of the their own species to keep them occupied.
If you want to avoid cross breeding stocking your 75g tank with only 4 species and a ratio of 1m-5f would be the way to go.
55g Cyno Sp. Nkhata Bay, Nkali, Ruarwe
40gL Msobo, Maingano, Demasoni
ha77

Postby DJRansome » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:16 pm

Keep these babies in your tank. Make sure you can tell them from the pure adults, even when they grow up. Get a group of 5 Synodontis multipunctatus to help with fry control. Remove small rocks so there are not tiny hiding places for future babies.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Melanddave6571 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:02 pm

DJRansome wrote:Keep these babies in your tank. Make sure you can tell them from the pure adults, even when they grow up. Get a group of 5 Synodontis multipunctatus to help with fry control. Remove small rocks so there are not tiny hiding places for future babies.

I have 2 Syndontis Feather fins and one is pretty big and a smaller one. They were a lot smaller when I bought them. Two of my gals are holding and I can always tell when they have had them. The tank goes into tornado mode then settles. I have a lot of rock but still not many make it. I've had two already throw babies and only 2-3 are now alive, from the first one. I switched from a 60 to a 75 gallon and after I was all done and fish were in realized I needed more sand. I got more and I believe I may have buried some tiny tiny one's that survived.
Melissa

75 Gallon tank
1 auratus
2 Yellow Acei
1 Johanni
2 Kenyi
1 Yellow lab
2 Pseudotropheus Socolofi
1 Red Top Zebra albino
1 Electric Blue Johanni
1 Red Top orange
2 Feather Fin
and so far last I counted 6 babies
Melanddave6571

Postby DJRansome » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:14 pm

If you choose the right Synodontis and aquascape carefully you will almost never have even one survivor.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species