Lake Malawi Species • 150 stocking questions

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

150 stocking questions

Postby Bart12 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:15 pm

What would you do?

Two 150 long tanks in a church. They want color and decent size fish.

I was thinking of mixing all kinds of Malawi, but the LFS recommended a mbuna tank and separate peacock/hap tank. The last time I did an mbuna tank this size, the mbuna seemed a bit too small (I did Demasoni and yellow labs). I suppose I could do all larger mbuna.

How about assorted peacocks, a few haps, and yellow labs? Can I mix frontosa in?

What specific fish would you stock?
Bart12

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 150 stocking questions

Postby DJRansome » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:39 pm

Haps and peacocks make a nice tank but require a bit of tinkering. You would want all males, one of each and no look-alike fish. It can take a year or two of changing stock to get a workable mix that has most showing good color. Peacocks are not much larger than mbuna in many cases.

Yellow labs are about the average size for mbuna. Acei and yellow labs?

Ideally frontosa would have their own tank, many report the Malawi harass the fronts, nipping their streamers, etc. Plus once the fronts get big, they will eat fish the size of medium mbuna, haps and peacocks.

How much time will you have to maintain these tanks? Why not one with frontosa and the other acei/labs or haps and peacocks (if you will be there a lot for a long enough time).
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Bart12 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:52 pm

Thank you for your response.

There is a company that comes in once a month to clean the tanks (do water changes and clean filters). I should be around for many more years to change stock if needed, but I don't have much time typically to spend doing anything with the tanks, except for about 3 times each year. One of those times is coming up in a couple of weeks, at which time I'll completetly change the tanks (substrate, rocks) to get ready for different stock. (They currently have a bad mix of community fish, plants, and drift wood.)

I like your recommendation of frontosa in one, and mbuna in the other. I've never kept fronts before - anything in particular to know? A group of 12?

So...maybe I'll do this: Tank one - 12 Frontosa. Tank two - 20 labs, 8 acei (maybe add a couple of the newer variations of peacock - red, OB).
Bart12

Postby DJRansome » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:14 pm

That's a long time between water changes.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Bart12 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:26 pm

Stocked one tank from local stores. Here is what we have so far:

10 Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos
10 Labidochromis caeruleus
4 Pseudotropheus acei
2 Metriaclima estherae red
2 Pseudotropheus crabro
4 assorted peacocks (red, orange, yellow, blue)
1 Nimbochromis venustus
1 red top mbuna of some kind
Bart12

Postby DJRansome » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:31 pm

:o
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Bart12 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:43 pm

Besides the venustus, which will need rehomed (he is tiny right now), are you doing the shocked face because of numbers or specific fish?
Bart12

Postby Bart12 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:18 pm

Bart12

Postby Aaron S » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:53 am

Just to be clear, your original post says two "150 long" tanks. I am assuming you are saying that the tanks are 150gallons each (which is likely a 6ft long tank), correct?

The face is probably because the resulting tank that you got set up isn't what the discussion suggested. The peacocks are unlikely to be happy with the melanochromis, estherae, red top mbuna (probably a greshaki), and the crabro. It is also quite a lot of fish in my opinion (especially if the water change company is only coming monthly). I would take back the estherae, red top, and crabro and put the venustus as well as peacocks in the other tank. Then you would have a pretty decent stocking with the labs, acei, and maingano with significant numbers such that you can remove aggressive fish and still have a pretty full tank.
Aaron S

Postby Bart12 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:37 am

Correct, two 6' tanks. One tank is empty right now. I'll move the peacocks and venustus over to the other tank and add some more peacocks and haps (moori).

I'm going to try to keep some of these odd mbuna in there with the three groups (labs, acei, maingano). I'll see how they do as they mature. I've had good luck with a single cabro in an mbuna tank before, the red zebra I've not kept before. The red top got dumped in there from someone else's tank.

Thank you all for your advice. The church want's lots of different color, so I'm trying to accomplish that.
Bart12

Postby Fogelhund » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:55 am

The ability of the peacocks to compete in this tank, depends on what they are. If they are the typical hybrid peacocks, that are part mbuna anyway, they might just compete fine.

Given this is a display tank, where breeding isn't important, I wouldn't worry about the estherae, red top and crabro from a stocking perspective, but the point about the infrequency of water changes, and heavy stocking does present some issues and is correct. I would double the frequency of water changes, even if that means doing it yourself. Maybe reducing the stocking some, by removing the mentioned fish makes sense, in those terms.
Fogelhund

Postby Bart12 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:45 pm

I also think that we will have to have the company come in every two weeks. I'll test water parameters and go from there.

I do want to overstock and I think that is what is wanted anyway - a busy and colorful tank.

Thanks again for all the help. I'll post updates as we move forward.
Bart12

Postby Bart12 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:06 am

Well, after much deliberation and checking local stock, we decided to do mbuna in both tanks. We still have a couple of peacocks of some sort in each tank, and 1 young venustus in tank 2. Also 2 bristlenose in each tank. Here is the stocking of mbuna for each tank that we ended up with:

Tank 1
10 Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos (going to try add 10 more)
7 yellow labs
2 red zebra
2 crabro
4 yellow tail acei
1 trewavasae of some kind (I think)

Tank 2
17 blue socolofi
4 albino socolofi
6 ngara white tail acei
8 yellow labs
Bart12

Return to Lake Malawi Species