Lake Malawi Species • 2 Peacocks not eating

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

2 Peacocks not eating

Postby BlackCougar » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:47 am

I noticed yesterday two peacocks were not eating. The rest of the fish are fine.

The smallest one is constantly hanging near the filter intake and he's clenching his fins but doesn't look bloated. Not eating really has me concerned. I just did a massive water change two days ago. 75% I clean out the filter sponge in old tank water once a week due to build up of waste

Water parameters are as follows:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5> after water change, 20 to 30 before water change
PH 7.9 - 8.0
GH 10
KH 10

I noticed a long string of clear poop in the tank last night. I dosed with aquarium salt 3.5 table spoons and 2 teaspoons of Epsom salt. I already upped the GH I didn't accidentally have it sky rocket on them. I didn't bother feeding them today no matter how much the others were begging.

tank is 65 gallons

there are two synodontis catfish four peacocks and two yellow fin Aceis.

Clout is hard to find in my area. Suggestions are welcome. And here I thought the Aceis would be the ones to get sick on me because I heard they're a little more sensitive to certain foods. This isn't the case and a little surprising. I've had four fish for almost three months. Two of the smaller peacocks for 2.5 months and the synodontis for 2 months. I slowly stocked over a period of one month.

Foods

frozen brine shrimp 2 to 3 times a month (I heard to go light on these when you have algae grazers present.)
peas once a week
veggie flakes five days a week to give something lighter at night.
algae wafers
northfin cichlid once a day five days a week. Size 1 mm

I do give them a day off from feeding three to four times a month.

Everything was fine up until the last 24 hours.
BlackCougar

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 2 Peacocks not eating

Postby BlackCougar » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:34 am

can a mod move this thread into the mawai cichlid area. I didn't realize I started this thread in the wrong forum. Please and thanks
BlackCougar

Postby DJRansome » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:48 pm

Actually I think the thread should be in Illness. They are being harassed. What are the dimensions of the tank and what is your stock list with species and gender?

I'd put them in the hospital tank with the Epsom-salt water. Chances are they will recover without medication once things are peaceful for them.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby BuckeyeTez » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:13 pm

DJRansome wrote:Actually I think the thread should be in Illness. They are being harassed. What are the dimensions of the tank and what is your stock list with species and gender?

I'd put them in the hospital tank with the Epsom-salt water. Chances are they will recover without medication once things are peaceful for them.

+1

Aulonocara don't have bloat issues like mbuna. They're mainly carnivorous and eat small fry. You can feed them vegetation (mine eat a little) and it won't bother them. They are indeed hiding in the corner due to stress.
125g 6' w/FX6, AC100, 2x eheim heater, inkbird temp controller, 48" Finnex planted 24/7+ LED, Hydor power heads. 18x All male Peacock/Hap tank. 4-7", 6x Syno Multi.
BuckeyeTez

Postby BlackCougar » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:28 pm

it still doesn't explain the long thin almost clear string of poop in there.

I think two fish are getting aggressive. One Aceis and one peacock and this observing them for a few minutes.

He and the other are eating. I don't know the sexes because they're still really young.

We're getting one heck of a thunderstorm. Lots of lightning and crack thunder.
BlackCougar

Postby DJRansome » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:43 pm

They could be having intestinal issues. But the stress of harassment is usually the cause and if you isolate in a hospital tank with Epsom salts they are likely to improve.

What are the dimensions of the tank and what is your stock list with species and gender?
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby BlackCougar » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:28 pm

65 gallon 36 x 18 x 24

2 purple aceis
2 synodontis catfish
4 peacocks

I have no clue what the sexes are because they are still juveniles. I won't know for another two to three months from now on whether they will color up.

the two biggest peaccocks poops are solid brown
the third smallest one he ate today and his poops looks pretty normal.
the smallest one I suspect is the one getting harassed. He's doubled in size since I brought him home. He was three quarters of an inch when I brought him home and he's just over an inch an a half now.

I have been entertaining the idea of upgrading to a 75 gallon long just for the extra space. or I could scrap this project and just go with something less aggressive.

I have noticed one of the peacocks does tend to be more aggressive then the others.
BlackCougar

Postby BlackCougar » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:15 am

scratch that

here is the possibility

I think there is one male two females and what are the chances the smallest one is another male?

I noticed on two of the three faces of the larger ones look rounder as well as the dorsal fin, but the one that I suspect is the male has a slightly pointer face and the dorsal and anal fin does look a little pointer.

I knew I may have to weed out males if there were a pair of females. It's got me wondering now.

does this sound about right?
BlackCougar

Postby noki » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:38 am

BuckeyeTez wrote:
DJRansome wrote:Actually I think the thread should be in Illness. They are being harassed. What are the dimensions of the tank and what is your stock list with species and gender?

+1

Aulonocara don't have bloat issues like mbuna. They're mainly carnivorous and eat small fry. You can feed them vegetation (mine eat a little) and it won't bother them. They are indeed hiding in the corner due to stress.

All Malawi Haplochromine cichlids can die from the intestinal bloat disease I think. Really just stress and poor water quality is the cause. Aulonocara actually mostly eat tiny crustaceans that live in the sand, they can "hear" them moving about. The idea of carnivore versus vegetarian diet is way over simplified... Mbuna eat a lot of tiny little creatures also.

Really, if they have been in tank for more than a day and are not having the living #%$& beat out of them, and are not holding females... then if they are not eating they are likely sick, most Malawi cichlids are hardly finicky.
noki

Postby DJRansome » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:54 am

DJRansome wrote: isolate in a hospital tank with Epsom salts they are likely to improve.

Epsom salt is a gentle laxative.

Yes if you are going to have multiple peacocks of different species you want an all-male tank and 75G is more workable for this stocking plan.

For now you need to take an action for the ones that are not eating.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Fogelhund » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:32 pm

Keep in mind that people call fish Peacocks, that are not Aulonocara. OB Peacocks, Strawberry, Sunshine.... and so on, all appear to have mbuna genetics in their background as well....
Fogelhund

Postby BlackCougar » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:03 am

Everything is good now.

Apparently they don't like the Vegetable cichlid pellet formula by North Fin. I had to go back to the Cichlid Formula. They weren't in too much of a rush to eat it. They'll rush in for the cichlid formula though....
BlackCougar

Return to Lake Malawi Species