Lake Malawi Species • Peacock/Hap Opinions needed

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Peacock/Hap Opinions needed

Postby Hooked! » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:45 am

I am fairly new to the Peacock/Hap species. I have kept community/planted tanks for years including Mbuna, but due to their size and aggression I am moving to Peacocks and Haps.
My current set up is as follows:
45 gallon 36X12.75X24, Fluval 306 canister as main filtration, 30 gallon in tank sponge filter, 200 watt heater, 18" air stone. Artificial tree stump, artificial plants, and lots of zebra rock and slate for caves/hiding places.
All fish are juveniles (1.5-2.5")
Current Stock:
1- Red Empress
1- Super Red Empress
1- Ngara Flametail
1- Benga Sunshine
1- Swallowtail
1- Red Fin]
1- Dragon Blood
1- Electric Blue Ahli
1- Venustus
1- Jacobfriebergi
1- Synodontus Polli
1- Synodontus Multi
1- Rubernose Place
1- Albino Bristlenose Place

All Peacock/Hap are believed to be males at this point (goal is to have all male tank). I think my tank is pretty much maxed out at this point. I am definitely open to removing aggressive, too large (Venustus), female, fish when the time comes. I am not looking to breed, just want a very colorful, and least aggressive tank as possible.
I am looking for opinions/advice on this set-up.
Hooked!

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Peacock/Hap Opinions needed

Postby Hooked! » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:23 am

Here is a pic of my tank:
Hooked!

Postby Fogelhund » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:50 pm

Being perfectly honest, your tank is too small for almost all of the cichlids on your list, once they grow up. The only fish I'd keep in a tank that size long-term, are the baenschi bengas and ngara. The other fish will either become too big... red fin (8"), venestus (10"), red empress (8"), fryeri (7-8"), jake types (6", too aggressive) or too aggressive....
Fogelhund

Postby Hooked! » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:56 pm

Thanks for the honest reply Fogelhund. I agree 100%. I will be upgrading to a 125 gallon when they get too big for this tank (should have mentioned that in the original post).
When you say the Jake types too aggressive, do you mean when they get larger? Will the 125g help to resolve some of that agression?
Hooked!

Postby Aaron S » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:08 pm

What kind of timescale are you expecting before you need to get a bigger tank? Some of those fish will grow pretty quickly...probably within a year you might have some in the 4inch range.
Aaron S

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:33 pm

I agree, they are going to be too big in a matter of months. Plan to upgrade when the fish hit three inches, and include the tail in the measurement.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Fogelhund » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:58 pm

Hooked! wrote:Thanks for the honest reply Fogelhund. I agree 100%. I will be upgrading to a 125 gallon when they get too big for this tank (should have mentioned that in the original post).
When you say the Jake types too aggressive, do you mean when they get larger? Will the 125g help to resolve some of that agression?

In a 125 gallon, they would be fine. Yes, adding that at the start would have been helpful.

I'd say you've got 3-6 months max in that tank.
Fogelhund

Postby Hooked! » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:48 pm

Thank you all for the advice! I have already started lokkong at larger options. I will plan on having a new home up and running in about 6 months. Will the smaller tank they are in now affect their growth?
Hooked!

Postby Fogelhund » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:27 am

Hooked! wrote:Thank you all for the advice! I have already started lokkong at larger options. I will plan on having a new home up and running in about 6 months. Will the smaller tank they are in now affect their growth?

Tank size on it's own does not affect growth. Water quality can, and of course the smaller the tank, the faster the water quality can deteriorate. Keep the water changes regular, once a week, 25% and you should be fine.
Fogelhund

Return to Lake Malawi Species