Lake Malawi Species • Can anyone see any problems with this setup?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Can anyone see any problems with this setup?

Postby ha77 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:44 pm

Currently have two 55g. Just want to make sure the species will be fairly compatible to reduce cross breeding and aggression.

TANK #1 = Fluval 206 and SunSun 302b

5 Metriaclima Msobo
5 Cynotilapia White Tops
5 Yellow Labs
1 Bristlenose Pleco

TANK #1= SunSun 304 and 30g Sponge Filter

5 Cynotilapia Cobue
5 Persipax Ndumbi
5 Elongatus Mpanga
1 Bristlenose Pleco

Thanks
55G Hara, Msobo, Ruarwe (Neon Spot)
55G Ndumbi
20GL (Grow Out) Mpanga, Msuli
ha77

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Can anyone see any problems with this setup?

Postby DJRansome » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:53 pm

What is the total GPH of filters for each tank? Shoot for 450 to 550 GPH.

Tank #1 I find the color of the yellow labs to be too close to the color of the female msobo but that is mostly cosmetic.

Tank #2 you have extremely aggressive species (perspicax and elongates) with a timid species(cobue). Also 2 blue barred species. I would reorganize. I would not do the perspicax in anything smaller than 48x18 and increase females to 7. Same for elongatus...but it is more important for the perspicax.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus, Labs; 38G Turkis
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Tetrastigma; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby ha77 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:27 pm

Thanks DJ. This is why I ask.
These are all still juvenile and haven't purchased the Labs or Cobue yet so have some time to make changes.
Both Tanks are 48.25"W x 20.18"H....so size wise I should be ok until I get my 75/120g in the next few months? I can't seem to find Mpangas locally anymore and live in Canada so shipping is a pain. I know I can at least get 2 more Ndumbi females easily enough.

So with those changes any more suggestions?

Tank #1= 470gph + 2 wave makers
Tank #2 = 525GPH + Sponge filter

TANK #1
5 Metriaclima Msobo
5 Cynotilapia White Tops
# (????)
1 Bristlenose Pleco

TANK #2
8 Persipax Ndumbi
5 Elongatus Mpanga
# (????)
1 Bristlenose
55G Ndumbi
ha77

Postby DJRansome » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:33 pm

So you will put the inhabitants of Tank #2 in the 48x18 in 2 months? I would just wait and not add fish. Know that the perspicax might kill everything and each other.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus, Labs; 38G Turkis
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Tetrastigma; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby ha77 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:03 pm

DJRansome wrote:So you will put the inhabitants of Tank #2 in the 48x18 in 2 months? I would just wait and not add fish. Know that the perspicax might kill everything and each other.

Thx again DJ.

I decided to keep the Msobos, Cynos and Ndumbi together for now. I'll keep a close eye on the Male Ndumbi to make sure he doesn't start going physco. The Mpangas are extremly slow growers compared to the rest so they will stay by themselves for now until aggression gets bad and I find something more suitable.

Cheers
55G Ndumbi
ha77

Postby Fogelhund » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:36 am

Yes, the ndumbi can be super aggressive... and by the time you notice his aggression, there could be a few fish dead overnight.
Fogelhund

Postby Kanorin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:55 pm

DJRansome wrote:Tank #1 I find the color of the yellow labs to be too close to the color of the female msobo but that is mostly cosmetic.

This can depend a lot on the quality of specimens and maybe also a bit on your lighting setup. I had a tank a few years ago with msobo, hara, and yellow labs (and L. trewavasae) - I found the mixture of colors extremely appealing. I can dig up a picture if you want.

If you're still on the fence about yellow labs, why not go for nkhata bay white labs. I picked some up a few months ago expecting to be luke-warm about them, but I've found that I really enjoy the white w/ black contrast that they provide.

And if you're not intrigued by either of those ideas, I'd just up your # of females for each species and call it done. The hara + msobos alone are a great contrast.

For the ps. perspicax tank, I think waiting to add a second species there until you get the 48x18 up and running is probably a good idea. When you do choose a tankmate, you probably want something that they will either completely ignore (like yellow labs maybe - never tried it) or something on their aggression level (the elongatus is probably fine, any metriaclima that aren't solid blue are probably ok, maingano or johanni might work).

I've considered perspicax before, but I've always held off due to other user caution tales. Keep us updated how yours do!
125G: C. aurifrons (luwino), trewavasae (thumbi west), saulosi, caeruleus (nkhata), rusties, S. multipunctatus.
Kanorin

Postby ha77 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:27 pm

Haha Oh man. You guys say don't get more species.. and that's exactly what I did. I need help. (Let me state I do plan on purchasing a 75g+ very soon so this all temporary). Basically I have a bunch of grow out tanks set up until then.

This is the current mess until I get reorganized this weekend ..but my hours have been cutback at work so I have plenty of time to monitor these guys!

#1 55g
Ps. Elongatus Ruarwe 3" (2m 6f)
Ps.Yellow Tail Acei 2" (5 ??? )
Met. Msobo 2" (7????)

#2 55g
Perspicax 3" (2m 6f)
Elongatus Mpanga 2" (2m 3f)

#3 30g
Cyno Hara 2" (2m 6f...I think)

I'm under the impression keeping different coloured Psuedotropheus together isn't a big problem because the classification is so generic?

Anyways I'm making mistakes obviously but learning lots! Haven't lost a single fish yet and have lots of spawning action so must be doing the basics right lol! You guys get the credit for that one! Thx for all the help!
55G Ndumbi
ha77

Return to Lake Malawi Species