Lake Malawi Species • Sunshine Peacocks and Mbuna?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Sunshine Peacocks and Mbuna?

Postby Mr.Nero » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:27 am

Hi, I just recently joined the forum and I have a quick question. Can you group sunshine peacocks in a tank with mbuna. I have a 150 Gallon, the dimensions are 6ft long X 2ft wide X 20in tall.

Current stock:
2 Rustys
2 sunshine peacocks
2 Chipokae
2 Kenyi
2 Red jewels
1 OB
1 RB
3 yellow Labs
1 Borleyi
All between 1.5-2.5 inches
Mr.Nero

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Sunshine Peacocks and Mbuna?

Postby noki » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:08 am

Well, you have a big, long tank which helps... but you do have some potentially aggressive Mbuna along with milder Mbuna. Your mix is quite all over the place. Not sure what a RB is. Red Jewels could breed if you had a male and female and cause problems.

Aulonocara Peacocks can be intimidated by more aggressive fish and a male may not do well and show full color. I would focus your tank more and decide what you want the most.
noki

Postby RayMontana » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:14 am

If I remember correctly from my fish store days, chipokae are very aggressive , kenyii being next. I dont know alot about peacocks and haps...sorry
RayMontana

Postby Mr.Nero » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:27 am

"RB" is Red blotch and yea I've heard about how aggressive the red jewels can get if you get a breeding pair and I'm trying to chose the best stock of African Cichlids that'll work together. Do you have any suggestions as to what I should take out the tank or add to it? I've been in the hobby for 6 years but I just recently got into African Cichlids about 2 months ago and yes that's pretty much the hierarchy the Chipokae then the Kenyi then yellow Labs and so on.
Mr.Nero

Postby Aaron S » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:06 am

So I googled red blotch and got OB zebras as the hit results. I am assuming then that OB in your list of fish is an OB peacock.

Personally, I would start by getting rid of the chipokae, kenyi, and jewels. Even then you will probably have to remove more than that prior to adding a significant amount of fish to the tank.

Which fish do you really like best? Most people recommend several groups of species in one tank for people new to cichlids. The 1 or two of random fish will catch up to you when they reach maturity -it sounds like your fish are just starting to get there. If we know which fish you like we can help to recommend a mix of fish for you.
Aaron S

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:01 pm

Mr.Nero wrote:"RB" is Red blotch and yea I've heard about how aggressive the red jewels can get if you get a breeding pair and I'm trying to chose the best stock of African Cichlids that'll work together. Do you have any suggestions as to what I should take out the tank or add to it? I've been in the hobby for 6 years but I just recently got into African Cichlids about 2 months ago and yes that's pretty much the hierarchy the Chipokae then the Kenyi then yellow Labs and so on.

There actually isn't anything called Red Blotch... maybe an orange OB something, but then there are many species of OB. Perhaps post a picture for an accurate ID?

The Sunshine and Haps aren't going to thrive with the mbuna, they "might" survive, or not.

What to do with stocking, really depends on which fish you like the most. There is nothing wrong with having an aggressive mbuna tank, with a bunch of aggressive mbuna, heavily stocked. If those are the fish you like the most, go for it, and we can help with stocking. If you like some of the others, that's cool too.

Which fish do you want to focus on?
Fogelhund

Postby Mr.Nero » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:50 pm

I really like the Kenyi and jewels but I heard how aggressive they can get so if need be I'll put them both in a tank of their own or trade them. I don't mind getting rid of The Chipokae, jewels and Kenyi for another substitute. Do you have any suggestions?

Here's a pic of the RB it was labeled as Red Blotch at the pet store
Mr.Nero

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:11 pm

That is an OB Peacock, a man made hybrid creation. Not surprising to see stores make their own names up though.

6-8 Rustys
6 sunshine peacocks or 6 OB Peacocks
6-8 Yellow Labs
6 Borleyi

8 Scieanochromis fryeri
8 Placidochromis phenochilus or Cyrtocara moori
Fogelhund

Postby Aaron S » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:38 pm

I was going to suggest something similar to fogel.

If you live near lansing, I know a person who breeds mbuna out of her house and does a nice job with them at a good price ( I got my pheno's from her).
Aaron S

Postby Mr.Nero » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:23 pm

Fogelhund wrote:That is an OB Peacock, a man made hybrid creation. Not surprising to see stores make their own names up though.

6-8 Rustys
6 sunshine peacocks or 6 OB Peacocks
6-8 Yellow Labs
6 Borleyi

8 Scieanochromis fryeri
8 Placidochromis phenochilus or Cyrtocara moori

That's a really nice stock you listed, do you think the 150 would be big enough for all of them once they're adults?
Mr.Nero

Postby DJRansome » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:56 pm

You don't think the fryeri and the peacocks would crossbreed?
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species