Lake Malawi Species • Help identifying + other stuff

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Help identifying + other stuff

Postby ciimph » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:26 pm

Hello I would like help identifying my fish and a certain problem.
He is extremely aggressive and has killed every other fish in the tank which has gone to the point where he has to live alone with my pleco. Any advice on how to reduce aggression? Image

i have a 70L tank
ciimph

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Help identifying + other stuff

Postby james1983 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:43 pm

Dragon blood peacock. They are man made so their temperament can range from peaceful to complete terror. 70l is entirely too small for African cichlids, thats why he kills everything.
james1983

Postby ciimph » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:50 pm

james1983 wrote:Dragon blood peacock. They are man made so their temperament can range from peaceful to complete terror. 70l is entirely too small for African cichlids, thats why he kills everything.

I was thinking gold peacock? As he isn't very red. Yeah I used to have him and two yellow labs. I think this size tank is alright for him alone. Thanks anyway!
ciimph

Postby noki » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:48 pm

ciimph wrote:
james1983 wrote:Dragon blood peacock. They are man made so their temperament can range from peaceful to complete terror. 70l is entirely too small for African cichlids, thats why he kills everything.

I was thinking gold peacock? As he isn't very red. Yeah I used to have him and two yellow labs. I think this size tank is alright for him alone. Thanks anyway!

Well he is a hybrid... the name doesn't really matter much since they are all made up and vary. Looks vaguely like a Red Zebra X Yellow Lab hybrid, except that there is something non Mbuna mixed in. Since he is part Mbuna, he can be aggressive.
noki

Postby Aaron S » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:33 pm

I agree with the posts, he is a hybrid with some red zebra somewhere along the lines (I think red zebras cross breed with everything like a rabbit). You need bigger tanks and the correct ratio of ladies for him, or just get rid of him for more peaceful fish as some fish are just murderers.
Aaron S

Postby ciimph » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:53 am

so i cant have him alone?
ciimph

Postby Aaron S » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:19 am

Most of the people on this forum would say no. I would say, go for it if you want but he may not be terribly excited about it as he gets bigger. I can almost guarantee that you won't be able to put any other fish with him in that tank.
Aaron S

Postby ciimph » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:59 pm

alright yeah im thinking about donating him to my brothers 400L tank which is a African cichlid tank. If i do end up giving him a better place to live, i may invest into an oscar but they tend to get huuuuuge so im not sure it'd like it in my 70L tank aha
ciimph

Postby DJRansome » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:46 pm

You have an 18 gallon tank. An oscar needs a tank that is many times larger than that. What are the dimensions of your tank? 24" long? 30" long?

You could look at the cookie cutter tanks in the Cichlid-forum Library for options that will do well in your tank size.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus, Labs; 38G Turkis
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Tetrastigma; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby ciimph » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:45 pm

dimensions are 23.6" x 11.8" x 15.7". an oscar doesnt have to always grow its full size right? dont fish stop growing eventually?
ciimph

Postby Kanorin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:01 pm

ciimph wrote: An oscar doesnt have to always grow its full size right? dont fish stop growing eventually?

As far as I know with cichlids - they always grow to their full size given food and clean water (regular water changes).
125G: C. aurifrons (luwino), trewavasae (thumbi west), saulosi, caeruleus (nkhata), rusties, S. multipunctatus.
Kanorin

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:34 pm

Here are some options for a 24" tank:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c ... 15-20g.php

You don't want to harm the fish by keeping him for more than a couple weeks in a tank that is too small.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus, Labs; 38G Turkis
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Tetrastigma; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby ciimph » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:02 pm

so basically the smaller cichlids will be suitable? Im not sure my local fish dealer has any of those listed
ciimph

Postby ciimph » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:07 pm

my main problem which is stopping me from getting a different fish is the bond me and my fish have, he has a fun personality and I've had him ever since he was a fry (born in my tank from previous fish)
ciimph

Postby perryclark » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:52 am

Tried following the questioner's reasoning. Seems to want fish of a certain type but doesn't want to invest in a larger tank setup.
Pay peanuts, get monkeys.
perryclark

Next

Return to Lake Malawi Species