Lake Malawi Species • Tank Divider??

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Tank Divider??

Postby joee1e1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:13 am

Ok so I have pretty stocked up all male tank. Most Hap/Peacock right now with 2 mbunas. Everyone gets along fine so far been 6 months. Here is the problem I am afraid of running into that I need to recoup on of my fish if it gotten sick/beatup/etc but my 29 gallon growout just has two small of fish that they will be eaten, is there anyway I could split the tank or maybe breeder net to keep the fish separate.
joee1e1

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Tank Divider??

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:03 am

A breeder net is good for 24 hours but does not make a hospital tank. Also as you have figured out a grow-out tank does not make a hospital tank. Why not buy a 10G for $10 and keep it in storage. Keep a small filter for it running on your 29G along with the existing 29G filter. Then if you need the hospital you can just fill and move the filter.

A 29G is only 30" long...15" for the grow-outs and the sick fish is not much. My fish have jumped dividers often (my only experience with columnaris) and I find the side without the filter is pretty stagnant. Remember surface agitation is important for oxygen and the divider really calms the water on the side without the filter.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus, Labs; 38G Turkis
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Tetrastigma; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Re: Tank Divider??

Postby RayMontana » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:19 pm

you could make it out of plexiglass so you can drill holes in it for water flow. put a powerhead on the non filter side to push the water around.
RayMontana

Return to Lake Malawi Species