Lake Malawi Species • Iodotropheus sprengerae; Muddy cichlids?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Iodotropheus sprengerae; Muddy cichlids?

Postby SherLar » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:18 am

About 6 months ago, we added 5 "Rusty" cichlids to our Malawi tank. Apparently, all are male, judging by the color. They are now all about 2 1/2 to 3 inches in length, but their color hasn't changed from the dull mud brown with slightly reddish tint they had when first added at 1 1/2 inches. Can anyone tell me when these fish may start to develop the brighter, more appealing colors shown in photos? My wife has taken to calling them muddy cichlids and telling me I should feed them to the oscars.
6,500G Koi pond; 220g Indoor water garden;
150g long American cichlid tank;
125g Undecided (Cycling)
90G Malawi cichlid tank;
90G Community tank
SherLar

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Iodotropheus sprengerae; Muddy cichlids?

Postby Kanorin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:33 am

What else is in the tank with them? Can you post a picture?

At least 1 of the males should be colored up by now. Unless you have all females, which I think is more likely than all males based on your description (but still not likely).
125G: C. aurifrons (luwino), trewavasae (thumbi west), saulosi, caeruleus (nkhata), rusties, S. multipunctatus.
Kanorin

Postby SherLar » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:26 pm

I'll see if I can get my son to post a pic for me soon. But, from what I've seen in species profiles, females are much lighter colored than males, so I was supposing that all were male since all were dark colored, as well as having egg spots on their anal fins. The other fish in the tank are Yellow Labs, Acei, Malawi Butterflies, Malawi Blue Dolphins, OB Peacocks, a Powder Blue Peacock, and 2 Synodontus cf_polli catfish. Overall, it's a pretty peaceful tank with little aggression, although the Powder Blue seems to be top dog.
125g Undecided (Cycling)
90G Malawi cichlid tank;
90G Community tank
SherLar

Postby Aaron S » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:05 am

This image is pretty accurate looking for what my male rusty looked like - if it helps. http://www.borstein.info/webpics/Malawi ... ngerae.jpg
Aaron S

Postby SherLar » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:13 pm

Thanks, Aaron. We bought them hoping they would color up like that, but it hasn't happened so far. I did notice some orange edging around the fins this morning, so perhaps I'm just not patient enough. Trying to pin down my son to have him post a pic, but he recently got home from the Navy, and is busy relearning how to live his life. Hopefully, I can get him to spare me a few moments this eve.
125g Undecided (Cycling)
90G Malawi cichlid tank;
90G Community tank
SherLar

Postby Kanorin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:45 pm

For what it's worth, my females are darker colored than my males. I'd describe the females as pretty close to a muddy color.
125G: C. aurifrons (luwino), trewavasae (thumbi west), saulosi, caeruleus (nkhata), rusties, S. multipunctatus.
Kanorin

Postby Aaron S » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:12 pm

It is possible that you have not waited long enough, but I would put the odds at pretty high that you have females.
Aaron S

Postby SherLar » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:46 pm

Unfortunately, I can't get my son to hold still long enough to get a pic up, and if I tried it myself, it would only end in frustration as technology and I will never be friends. You'd think that after 9 total years of college and 3 degrees . . .but, oh well. My college was before technology took over humanity. Anyway, I sent a video via text to a friend many states away, and she confirmed that (as far as she could tell) that I have 5 males, that they are indeed changing color, albeit slowly, and that I'm just too impatient. Thanks for your input, everyone. I had planned to get rid of the Malawi cichlids and go New World cichlids in all my tanks, but was over-ruled by the wife.
125g Undecided (Cycling)
90G Malawi cichlid tank;
90G Community tank
SherLar

Postby DJRansome » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:22 pm

Usually only one male will color up so maybe swap the other males for females.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby BC in SK » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:49 am

SherLar wrote: I sent a video via text to a friend many states away, and she confirmed that (as far as she could tell) that I have 5 males, that they are indeed changing color

I'd post the video here and see what some others here think of their sex.
I'd have my doubts whether Rustys purchased only 6 months ago, can be reliably sex based solely on coloration. Also, would not mudddy brown and a lack of coloration tend to be more of an indication of female rather then male?
Of course it is possible to end up with 5 of the same sex.....though the odds ensure that this does not happen all that often.
BC in SK

Postby noki » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:01 pm

Not sure of the sex, you should have a dominant male of the group that should stand out and look unquestionably male, while the others more submissive.

Unfortunately buying cichlids is not like buying many other things, not all fish are of the same quality... quality varies alot. Fish that are well bred and not too many generations removed from the wild are better. Fish can be poorly bred or even hybrids. I've seen many Rusties that were pretty "meh", hardly inspiring.

I wouldn't be that surprised if some store even had some brownish mystery fish and just guessed that they were Rusties, or just mixed in some unknown brown Mbuna with a tank of Rusties... the "all those cichlids pretty much look the same anyway, only a nerd would complain" mentality. I've seen stuff like that happen way too many times.
noki

Postby Sinister-Kisses » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:52 pm

noki wrote: the "all those cichlids pretty much look the same anyway, only a nerd would complain" mentality.

Hey now! Who you calling a nerd? I prefer fish "enthusiast" :lol:
SinisterKisses

180gal: Pearsei/CA & SA comunity
125gal: Argentea/regani juveniles
120gal: Midas male/Texas male
120gal: Midas male
Sinister-Kisses

Postby SherLar » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:03 am

If I had the tech savvy to put a video on here, I would. But, whenever I try something techie, I end up with a strong desire to use all our devices as target practice.
All 5 of the Rusties have egg spots, thus my friend proclaimed them all male. AS far as dominance goes, I can't see any marked difference in their behavior. It may be that, as I was told, I'm just too impatient. Not the first time I've heard that. I want to buy juvenile fish, then have them be fully grown and fully colored by the next morning.
I've been called a nerd before, though not a fish nerd. I like books, I like learning, I like researching a variety of topics. Sue me. I'm also ex special forces, but truly, I'd rather be known for my brain than my brawn. Unfortunately, my "nerdiness" doesn't seem to include fish or technology.
Thank you all for your input. For now, we'll keep them. The LFS I bought them from is pretty good about taking unwanted fish for store credit, so if they don't show better color by spring, I'll take them back. Still trying to talk my wife into going all Central and South American cichlids, but if I can get some decent color in the Malawi tank, I'll shut up. Or she'll punch me in the throat and I'll shut up anyway.
125g Undecided (Cycling)
90G Malawi cichlid tank;
90G Community tank
SherLar

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:06 am

Not to add to your discontent, but egg spots are not reliable to determine gender. If you are unhappy with the "rusties" there are lots of other Malawi options...why wait?
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby noki » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:55 pm

SherLar wrote:If I had the tech savvy to put a video on here, I would. But, whenever I try something techie, I end up with a strong desire to use all our devices as target practice.
All 5 of the Rusties have egg spots, thus my friend proclaimed them all male. AS far as dominance goes, I can't see any marked difference in their behavior. It may be that, as I was told, I'm just too impatient. Not the first time I've heard that. I want to buy juvenile fish, then have them be fully grown and fully colored by the next morning.
I've been called a nerd before, though not a fish nerd. I like books, I like learning, I like researching a variety of topics. Sue me. I'm also ex special forces, but truly, I'd rather be known for my brain than my brawn. Unfortunately, my "nerdiness" doesn't seem to include fish or technology.
Thank you all for your input. For now, we'll keep them. The LFS I bought them from is pretty good about taking unwanted fish for store credit, so if they don't show better color by spring, I'll take them back. Still trying to talk my wife into going all Central and South American cichlids, but if I can get some decent color in the Malawi tank, I'll shut up. Or she'll punch me in the throat and I'll shut up anyway.

Just saying the fish may not exactly what you think. As said, females can have eggspots, but dominant males have the most distinct eggspots. Females can have small eggspots. Rusties are pretty wimpy, they rarely are one of the more dominant fish.
noki

Next

Return to Lake Malawi Species