Lake Malawi Species • Finally bought a 125g tank and need some advice for setup

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: Finally bought a 125g tank and need some advice for setu

Postby JimCS » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:13 am

Hi Kevin, great job on the tank! Looks amazing. I wished I've come across this before as I am also setting up a tank with white labs (10) and msobo (10). I really like how they look together in your aquarium. Additionally to those two species I also ordered a group of 5 synos lucipinnis and will add a 4th group which will be an OB species. Keep us posted on how your tank evolves.
JimCS

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Kevin in Ky » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:46 am

I thought I would update this post, since it's been a while. Not a lot of changes in the tank,..other than some added rockwork and lots of new algae/diatoms etc. growing on the rocks and background..which I like. Certain males are establishing territories and their places in the pecking order. One particular Msobo male (pictured below) is starting to show signs of his changing color..and looks like he will eventually be top dog of the tank. 2 male Jalo reefs (Cyno), which look like identical twin little alpha males, have staked out spots on opposite ends of the tank and are really fun to watch. They both stay colored up and active..showing off for the 6 or 7 females that go back and forth. Here is a new tank shot and one of the Msobo males starting to show some color. Wish I had a better camera than my phone..and less glare on the tank.

125g Met Msobo - White Labs - Acei (White Tail) - Troph Elong Boadzulu - Cyno Jalo Reef -Petricola Catfish
55g Demasoni - Yellow Labs - Acei
55g Cyno Hara - Met Estherae - Rusty
29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
20g 'Lamprologus' ocellatus ''Gold''
Kevin in Ky

Postby The Dude315 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:16 pm

Your tank is really amazing
The Dude315

Postby JimCS » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:20 pm

Good job Kevin. Tank looking great. Share some photos of the trophs!
JimCS

Postby Kevin in Ky » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks for the nice words guys! I will try to get a couple of pics of the trophs.. but they are pretty dark at this point and hard to get a good picture of. They are great looking and some very interesting behavior. They love to swim vertically up and down the background rocks grazing on algae. You don't hear alot about these guys but I would really recommend them for any Mbuna setup.
125g Met Msobo - White Labs - Acei (White Tail) - Troph Elong Boadzulu - Cyno Jalo Reef -Petricola Catfish
29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
Kevin in Ky

Postby Kevin in Ky » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:11 am

Here is a decent pic of one of the likely male Trophs. It's hard to see in this picture but they are showing some purple on their bodies..sometimes blues,.sometimes some barring. They are constantly changing colors

29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
Kevin in Ky

Postby Kevin in Ky » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:31 am

Here is a pic of some newly added rockwork and caves.

[url]Image[/url]
29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
Kevin in Ky

Postby Kevin in Ky » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:39 pm

Here is a new pic of the top Msobo male. I can't believe how much his color has changed just in the last week. I've got a feeling this guy is going to be a stunner!

29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
Kevin in Ky

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:43 pm

Howdy Kev

Just wanted to say that your tank looks fantastic. Those modules really add to the display. Awesome job!
Iggy Newcastle

Postby Kevin in Ky » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:02 pm

Iggy Newcastle wrote:Howdy Kev

Just wanted to say that your tank looks fantastic. Those modules really add to the display. Awesome job!

Hey thanks Iggy!! Where have you been?? I haven't seen you post lately. I've definitely learned a lot from your great advice over the last few years.

I really enjoyed putting this tank together.. and it definitely makes the day go by easier at work each day. Just wish I could take some better pictures. Maybe that will be my next venture in this hobby.
29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
Kevin in Ky

Postby Biciclid » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:17 pm

Looking great, is it time for an updated panorama view yet? Ciao
110gal Yellow Labs, yellowtail Acei, Rusties, C afra Jalo Reef, L trewavasae Chilumba
100gal Saulosi, Perlmutt, Maingano, Rusties, OB zebras
65gal Apisto Borelii, Hongsloi, Oto, BN, hatchet and pencilfish, tetras
45gal Fantail
15gal Taiwan Bee Shrimp
Biciclid

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:54 pm

Kevin in Ky wrote:
Iggy Newcastle wrote:Howdy Kev

Hey thanks Iggy!! Where have you been?? I haven't seen you post lately. I've definitely learned a lot from your great advice over the last few years.

I really enjoyed putting this tank together.. and it definitely makes the day go by easier at work each day. Just wish I could take some better pictures. Maybe that will be my next venture in this hobby.

Well I wish I had something like that to look at while I was at work...
I've certainly been busy lately. For awhile. Finally tapering off at work. Been tending to a lot of turtles lately as well, and that has taken up a lot of my time. Even my wife's time!

How has that python system worked for you? I realize it's an old question but my submersible pump from Ace Hardware makes water changes a breeze. Much faster than a python. Anyways, please keep this updated. Glad you got your big tank and got on it right away. I've had a brand new 180 with stand sitting in the garage for 391 days. That's how busy(lazy) I've been, LOL...
Iggy Newcastle

Postby Kevin in Ky » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:28 am

Iggy,.. honestly of all of the different aquarium products, filters, pumps, lights..etc. the Python is easily the best purchase I've made. I change about 40% of the water each Friday.. and I 've got it down to less than 20 minutes..start to finish.
Super easy to use and really well made. I imagine a submersible pump would really do the trick..and will be awesome with the 180g. Now get your a$$ in gear and get it set up! :D

What kind of tank are you planning to do?
29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
Kevin in Ky

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:04 pm

Nice. I had a python/Aqueon equivalent. I returned it. My water pressure is weak so I wasn't able to utilize it. The pump I have works awesome and fast. I have a few 6' tanks including a 180 up and running now. Couldn't properly maintain them without it.

I'll be moving my Phenochilus Tanzanians to the new 180 with maybe some other fish. I have my old background that will go in as well. It's an AquaTerra like your modules. It would be great to have it up and running before December... I doubt it.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby Kevin in Ky » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:12 pm

Here are a few new tank pics and some better shots of some of the fish. I've not been able to log in to the site for a couple of weeks for some reason.. and at this stage it really changes quickly.. also got a new phone/camera that seems to take better pictures.

29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
Kevin in Ky

PreviousNext

Return to Lake Malawi Species