Lake Malawi Species • Finally bought a 125g tank and need some advice for setup

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: Finally bought a 125g tank and need some advice for setu

Postby Kevin in Ky » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:06 am

Thanks Kanorin! I really like the way it looks also. It looks a little flat right now..but I really think when I add some rockpiles and big rocks, it will give it a lot of depth. Then when the fish are added and some algae starts forming on the rocks and background, it should really come alive and look nice.

Here is the stocklist I've settled on,..unless I change my mind in the next few hours. Any last minute suggestions?

(White) Labs
Cyno sp 'elogatus Chitimba'
Msobo Deep Magunga
Willimsi North Makonde
Acei (White Tail)
125g Met Msobo - White Labs - Acei (White Tail) - Troph Elong Boadzulu - Cyno Jalo Reef -Petricola Catfish
55g Demasoni - Yellow Labs - Acei
55g Cyno Hara - Met Estherae - Rusty
29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
20g 'Lamprologus' ocellatus ''Gold''
Kevin in Ky

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Kevin in Ky » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:12 am

The day is finally here to add some fish! Very excited..as this has been a long time in planning and a slow process getting the tanks moved and ready. I'm really happy with the way things have gone so far,..and this is where the tank stands at this point. I ordered the fish on Tuesday,..only the (x12) Msobo Deep - Magunga and the (x5) Ps Acei (White Tail) for now,..due to the cost ..and I want to make sure these first 2 groups do well in the new tank before I add the other 3 groups and the catfish, just in case something goes wrong. I added some rocks and the (cycled) filters yesterday and all of the water tests are perfect this morning, so hopefully I am good to go. I will be adding more rocks in a few piles, over the next week or so. I will update with a few more pics later today when the fish arrive. Thanks for all of the feedback in helping me get this tank ready!

125g Met Msobo - White Labs - Acei (White Tail) - Troph Elong Boadzulu - Cyno Jalo Reef -Petricola Catfish
29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
Kevin in Ky

Postby Kevin in Ky » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:50 pm

All of the fish arrived healthy,..and he even threw in a free Acei. Here are a few pics of the new guys enjoying their new home!

29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
Kevin in Ky

Postby snorkel3 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:22 pm

It looks great, nice job on the background and I'm looking forward to the fish as they mature.
snorkel3

Postby cichlid rob » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:48 pm

I am little late on this but I would like to share what I did for water changes. I built a cheap pvc overflow that goes through. The wall to the outdoor. Then I just use a irrigation dripper at .5 gph. This runs constant. I have had it like this for 6 months and I have never needed to do any extra water changes. I am actually doing around 10% a day which allows me to have lite filtration. I do use a korialla 1500 to keep things from settling.
cichlid rob

Postby Kevin in Ky » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:35 pm

That sounds great! I'm not confident enough in my plumbing abilities to try something like that..but that would definitely be nice to not have to worry about water changes.

I went ahead and added two more species to the tank last week,..so now I have Met. Msobo, Ps Acei (white tail), White Labs, and Cynotilapia Jalo Reef. I am still planning on adding one more species and a group of Drawrf Petricola cats.
Any suggestions on a 5th species that would go well with this mix? I am considering one of the following..
Tropheops sp. ''Elongatus Boadzulu'' Kanchedza Island (Don't know much about these)
Pseudotropheus sp. ''Williamsi North'' Makonde (may get too big and aggressive?)
Pseudotropheus flavus Chinyankwazi (I can buy pre-sexed 1 male and 4 or 5 females)

I am leaning towards the Flavus. Anyone have experience with these guys?

Here are a few new pictures with the 2 new groups and some more rocks added (still plan on adding quite a bit more)

29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
Kevin in Ky

Postby The Dude315 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:02 pm

Wow... that looks incredible... have you considered some male Peacocks? Im still very new to the Malawi cichlids so I can help with too much insight on the fish you mentioned. Your tank looks absolutely stunning... Are the LED lights you purchased RGB? If not I'd recommend the Finnex Monster Ray. The different it makes is incredible
The Dude315

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:41 pm

The Dude315 wrote:Wow... that looks incredible... have you considered some male Peacocks? Im still very new to the Malawi cichlids so I can help with too much insight on the fish you mentioned. Your tank looks absolutely stunning... Are the LED lights you purchased RGB? If not I'd recommend the Finnex Monster Ray. The different it makes is incredible
Kevin has some aggressive mbuna in there...peacocks might not work.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby The Dude315 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:09 pm

DJRansome wrote:
The Dude315 wrote:Wow... that looks incredible... have you considered some male Peacocks? Im still very new to the Malawi cichlids so I can help with too much insight on the fish you mentioned. Your tank looks absolutely stunning... Are the LED lights you purchased RGB? If not I'd recommend the Finnex Monster Ray. The different it makes is incredible
Kevin has some aggressive mbuna in there...peacocks might not work.

There I go sharing my opinion on things I know nothing about... I didn't even think of that... setting up a successful African tank is horribly complex..
The Dude315

Postby mrlilfish90 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:46 pm

:fish: WOW that looks great. Good job. Thumbs up. :thumb: :fish:
Chaos below. To be revised.
75G: saulosi, chewere, acei, rusty, S. Eupterus
55G: blood parrot, firemouth, common pleco, koi, goldfish, crayfish
40G: sunfish, snapping turtle
30G: SAE, sunfish, minnows, Florida flagfish, jack dempsey
mrlilfish90

Postby Kevin in Ky » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:02 am

mrlilfish90 wrote::fish: WOW that looks great. Good job. Thumbs up. :thumb: :fish:

Thanks for the nice words (and Dude315)! It has been a fun project..and I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops as the fish mature and algae etc. builds up on the rocks and background.. which has already started bigtime. I just got back from a 9 day vacation in Florida and all fish survived and seem to be doing great. There is quite a bit a brownish algae (Diatoms?) growing already with 2 walls of my office being windows. The Lights are (x2) 36" Current USA LED-plus. They operate separately with one remote control, so with both of them..I can get probably 100+ different lighting combinations along with the different weather/storm settings..it's fun to experiment with.

I am still planning on adding one more species and a group of Drawrf Petricola cats.
Any suggestions on a 5th species that would go well with this mix? I am considering one of the following..
Tropheops sp. ''Elongatus Boadzulu'' Kanchedza Island (Don't know much about these)
Pseudotropheus sp. ''Williamsi North'' Makonde (may get too big and aggressive?)
Pseudotropheus flavus Chinyankwazi (I can buy pre-sexed 1 male and 4 or 5 females)

I am leaning towards the Flavus. Anyone have experience with these guys?

Anyone have thoughts on my previous question on adding a 5th Mbuna species to the tank? I would like to order them..along with the petricola cats this week.
29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
Kevin in Ky

Postby newcichlidiot » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:19 pm

Great job, this tank is absolutely well done. I love your use of the rock modules really give huge 3-D pop. I have only one question, 600 watts seems like way too much heater. Even more so I believe if this tank will be unattended on weekends. I would think that one 300 watt heater would be enough. Now I have said this before and I am gonna say it again. I would use 2 heaters at 150 watts each. That way if one goes kablooie on you it most likely will not have the power to fry your fish. Happened to me once, not again. Sorry but seems like I always have to put in my $0.02. Great job!
Remember, the right way is not usually the easy way.
120 w/stand build coming soon
55 Eheim 2217 + HOB
55 Eheim 2217 + HOB + sponge filter
newcichlidiot

Postby Kevin in Ky » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:47 pm

Thanks! I went back and forth on heaters and how many,..watts etc. but figured I may need one on each end to heat the whole tank in the winter..but I see your point. I ended up using (X2) 250w,..an Aqueon
Pro and an Eheim

Here are a couple of new fish pics..since I added the final group of fish.

Cyno. Jalo Reef (apparent alpha male at 1.5 inches he's already colored up like a champ) and a Metr Msobo female

Tropheops Elong. Boadzulu (really interesting color patterns on these guys) and a couple of White Labs
29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
Kevin in Ky

Postby The Dude315 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:21 pm

Gorgeous. I love the selection of fish. Were the Msoba deep already sexed when you got them?
The Dude315

Postby Kevin in Ky » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:16 am

No, I bought a group of 12 unsexed that are just over 1" inch,..so right now they are all just perfect looking little bright yellow guys. There is one that is definitely a little male..has a couple of big egg spots already and has staked out a corner and is very territorial about it. I'm sure there are at least a few more but hopefully I won't have to rehome too many of them. I'd like to be able to keep 2 or 3 males if they get along okay. I've been wanting to keep Msobo since I got in to this hobby a few years ago, so when I got this tank they were a definite first choice. Thanks for the compliment..I am really happy with the stocking at this point.
29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
Kevin in Ky

PreviousNext

Return to Lake Malawi Species