Lake Malawi Species • Finally bought a 125g tank and need some advice for setup

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: Finally bought a 125g tank and need some advice for setu

Postby Kanorin » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:58 pm

Looks like you're going to have a good-looking msobo male (one of my personal favorites)! Any aggression between him and the boadzulu?
125G: C. aurifrons (luwino), trewavasae (thumbi west), saulosi, caeruleus (nkhata), rusties, S. multipunctatus.
Kanorin

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Kevin in Ky » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:04 am

Thanks Kanorin..and I agree, the Msobos are my favorite Mbuna that I have kept so far. One question though,..I have 10 of them and he (the one you see coloring up in the pics) is the only one showing any signs of changing..and he is probably 75% blue already. They are still only 2" maybe, but could I have only 1 male and 9 females??.. or do subdominant males just take a long time to show any color. This guy is a beast..and I can't wait to see how he turns out.

No, no aggression at all between him and the boadzulu. I have a group of 5 of those and they spar with each other but that's about it. These are really cool fish also,..nice color and shape..and really interesting behavior. The main aggression in this tank is between 2 identical Jalo males..that both appear to be dominant. They each made there pits about 12" apart, so they are constantly bickering and having standoffs. Never really fight but they keep each other busy and colored up.
125g Met Msobo - White Labs - Acei (White Tail) - Troph Elong Boadzulu - Cyno Jalo Reef -Petricola Catfish
55g Demasoni - Yellow Labs - Acei
55g Cyno Hara - Met Estherae - Rusty
29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
20g 'Lamprologus' ocellatus ''Gold''
Kevin in Ky

Postby Kanorin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:21 am

In my experience Msobo males color up extremely late. Sometimes at up to 3 inches. I'd wait for more to start to show some color - I bet you'll see a few soon
125G: C. aurifrons (luwino), trewavasae (thumbi west), saulosi, caeruleus (nkhata), rusties, S. multipunctatus.
Kanorin

Postby Aaron S » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:07 am

Odds are poor that you have 1:9 out of 10 fish I am with Kanorin that you will see more males later.
Aaron S

Postby Kevin in Ky » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:30 pm

Here are a few new pics of some of the males in this tank. Each are now around 3" and really coloring up nicely.

Metriaclima sp. ''Msobo'' Magunga

Tropheops kumwera Kanchedza Island ''Elongatus Boadzulu'' (I really like these fish)

Cynotilapia zebroides Jalo Reef (these are actually 2 different fish that live about 12" apart..and keep each other busy)
125g Met Msobo - White Labs - Acei (White Tail) - Troph Elong Boadzulu - Cyno Jalo Reef -Petricola Catfish
29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
Kevin in Ky

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:53 pm

Studs, for sure!
Iggy Newcastle

Postby Kevin in Ky » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:20 pm

So what does a Cichlid addict get himself for his birthday?..a new filter for his fish! After reading a few posts last week talking about filtration on larger tanks..and the gallons per hour that is recommended etc. ..and doing a little reading about the filters I have on my 125g, I figured out that I probably didn't have quite enough. I had always heard great things about the Fluval FX6 filters but didn't need quite that much, so I went with the FX4. From what I can tell it's the exact same filter, just a little smaller.. and man, it does the job! It's been running since yesterday and the difference is unreal. Anyone else tried one of these filters yet?

29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
Kevin in Ky

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:34 pm

I've only used the 5 and 6. I like them a lot. We have 7 of them. 2 still in the box. I find the drain valve pretty worthless, though. If you have a hose to run to a floor drain or outside at ground level, then its a viable option. I just muscle it out from under the stand full. And keep your filter floss in your other unit. It will clog up quick in an FX.

How's the 125 doing?
Iggy Newcastle

Postby Kevin in Ky » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:30 pm

Iggy Newcastle wrote:I've only used the 5 and 6. I like them a lot. We have 7 of them. 2 still in the box. I find the drain valve pretty worthless, though. If you have a hose to run to a floor drain or outside at ground level, then its a viable option. I just muscle it out from under the stand full. And keep your filter floss in your other unit. It will clog up quick in an FX.

How's the 125 doing?

The 125g is doing great,..all survived another week long vacation, which always a good thing! So far I' really like the FX4 and it's exactly what this tank needed. I started looking at the number of fish I have in there...and then after reading a couple of posts from DJR a few weeks ago (recommending 8x-10x gph/hr filtration).. I started reading a little more about the current filters (flow rates) I was running and it really wasn't enough. They were only adding up to maybe 3x-4x gph/hr
and considering I change at least 50% water per week..the bottom always had a lot of waste on it, so it just wasn't doing the job. This new filter does the job and then some,..waste practically gone and water looks perfect.

I agree on the drain valve being pretty useless. I imagine it would be really handy in an upper level apartment.. or just had to use buckets for whatever reason. I can't imagine anything being any easier than this Python system I use. I can change out 50+ gallons of water in 30 minutes easy.
29g Ps Saulosi - Rusty
Kevin in Ky

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:18 pm

Good to hear Kev. The fish photos from awhile back look great. And the FX models provide quite a bit of flow. I never vacuum. Just crack the canister every few months and rinse it out.
Iggy Newcastle

Previous

Return to Lake Malawi Species