Lake Malawi Species • female peacock lays eggs on rock?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

female peacock lays eggs on rock?

Postby carebear230 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:01 am

just watched one of my female peacock cichlids do something a little strange ..her and one of the males have decided to mate .. she only looks to have a few eggs in her mouth but not near as many as u would expect. her bronchial cavity is not even really distended ...but the male was chased away by another male in the tank .and i just watched the female go against a vertical rock and lay about 5 or so eggs on the rock . not eating them but just letting them fall to the gravel..she seems to know they r there because she is chasing the other fish away but is not picking them up .. i dont think her mouth is full ..and the male seems to be leaving her alone now ....i have never seen this in any of my cichlids ..has anyone else seen anything like this ???
the mating pair r sunshine yellow peacocks / Aulonocara baenschi
:fish:
carebear230

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: female peacock lays eggs on rock?

Postby DJRansome » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:04 am

If she and the male are no longer doing the circle dance, then the eggs were dropped but not fertilized. I have never seen or heard about the female defending dropped unfertilized eggs, no. Interesting.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome

Postby carebear230 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:05 am

yeah that is y i was totally confused .. i was like come on lady your not a egg layer your a mouth brooding.. when i looked again this morning the eggs on the ground r now gone and she is no longer holding ... maybe still just a little to immature
carebear230

Postby DJRansome » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:38 am

Well she did her job, dropping them. The male was supposed to circle around and fertilize them and it sounds like that part is what did not happen because he got chased away. This happens all day long during a spawn which can take hours...usually the male comes back again and again.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome

Return to Lake Malawi Species