Lake Malawi Species • Pseudotropheus galanos Mbenji

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Pseudotropheus galanos Mbenji

Postby cichlid_crazy » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:59 pm

I have found some of these locally but I want a little information on them before I jump in head first again. From what I see there really isn’t much info online unless you can read German. Are they rare in the US? So far I have found that they max out at a little over 3" and are listed as vulnerable on the IUCN red list. Really just looking for the basics like aggression level, breeding habits, feeding needs etc.... Any help is appreciated Thanks
cichlid_crazy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Pseudotropheus galanos Mbenji

Postby noki » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:25 am

The fish has been in the hobby under other names, as I think the scientific name is rather new, or the name was not identified with that fish before. Not sure if ever has been that common, but according to Koning's it is an "excellent" Mbuna for hobbyists' tanks.

Aggression levels? It's a Mbuna.
Breeding habits? Yes, they probably like to a lot, the same as all other Mbuna.
Feeding? According to Koning's they eat phytoplankton similar to Cynotilipa. Just feed them the same as all Mbuna avoiding lots of protein so they don't get big and fat.

Go for it, they seem a little different looking so could mix with a lot of types. Males get a reddish dorsal.
noki

Postby cichlid_crazy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:33 am

Well the local contact didnt work out, pretty sure they were hybrids. However I did find some wild caughts on the other side of the country. They will be here tuesday morning!!!! Yea I am just a little excited.
cichlid_crazy

Postby cichlid_crazy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:29 pm

They just arrived. I have to say the money spent is well worth it. I was expecting 3" fish but most of them are closer to 5". I will try to get some pictures up after they have got use to the quarantine tank.
cichlid_crazy

Postby littleolme » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:25 pm

noki wrote:The fish has been in the hobby under other names, as I think the scientific name is rather new, or the name was not identified with that fish before.

What else have they been listed under?
Phil and Tammy
75g - Acei, Saulosi, Rusties, Calvus
20g - N. Brevis
littleolme

Postby cichlid_crazy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:56 pm

littleolme wrote:
noki wrote:The fish has been in the hobby under other names, as I think the scientific name is rather new, or the name was not identified with that fish before.

What else have they been listed under?

In all of the research I did all I found were these Pseudotropheus williamsi Red Top Mbenji, Red Top Brevis, Pseudotropheus red Dorsal. About 80% of all the information I found was in german.
cichlid_crazy

Postby cichlid_crazy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:54 am

I couldnt get any good pictures, so here is a short vid. They are looking better and better by the hour.

[youtube]CFRfsE2pdGE[/youtube]
cichlid_crazy

Return to Lake Malawi Species