Lake Malawi Species • 2nd tank, standard 40 gallon: labs & socolofi

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

2nd tank, standard 40 gallon: labs & socolofi

Postby Swifterz » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:46 am

in addition to my 75g hap/peacock tank i'm about to pick up a 40 gallon and want to do a mbuna tank.

would this be suitable for yellow labs and socolofi (power blues)? how many of each? probably starting with juveniles. i would like to breed eventually, so start with a lot and narrow down to fewer males and more females as time goes by?
120g mixed Malawi tank
Swifterz

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 2nd tank, standard 40 gallon: labs & socolofi

Postby Kanorin » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:14 am

What are the tank dimensions?
Likely the tank will be ok for a quad of labs, but even if it's 48L x 12W, I'd be hesitant to keep Ps. socolofi in there.

If it's not a 48L tank, I'd definitely stay away from Socolofi - consider the labs + C. afra (now C. Zebroides) or a Ps. Saulosi only species tank.

Love the background and lighting of your all-male tank by the way!
125G: All male
Haps: Steveni taiwan, pheno, spilo. tanzania, lithobates, cop. trewavasae, polystigma
Peacocks: Stuartgranti x3 (Cobue, Usisya, & Mdoka), baenschi, ruby red, bi-color,
+ Y. Lab & S. Multi
Kanorin

Re: 2nd tank, standard 40 gallon: labs & socolofi

Postby Swifterz » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:00 pm

thanks for the reply. unfortunately the deal on the 40 fell through. there is a 36 bowfront available but i'm not certain i want to pull the trigger on it just yet.

i have always really liked 20g lon tanks (30x12x12) but what could i put in one of those?
120g mixed Malawi tank
Swifterz

Return to Lake Malawi Species