Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Way too much time to over think

1K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  Cajen 
#1 ·
I am done traveling for business now and am settled in... Cycling two tanks now a 55g Mbuna tank and a 29g Tang (my First Tang tank). Since the day I found this forum, I believe that I have obsessed (wife's wording, not mine... I prefer to say educated) over doing it right. My ammonia in both tanks is converting to Nitrite with 24 hrs, but Nitrite still high, doing the daily water changes etc... Should be ready soon :D

Anyway, my proposed stock list for the 55g is...

55g Mbuna tank
P Elongatus Jewel Spot - Hai Reef
P. Saulosi
P. Socolofi

As the topic suggests, with so much time between then and now, I am second guessing the P. Socolofi. The order listed is the order of desire for the stocking... For the third specie I definitely want either monomorphic fish or a nice dimorphic fish that works with the first two... Thinking about Rusty's but have not really committed.

Does anyone have other suggestions that would work, given what I am trying to accomplish?

As always, input, advice and knowledge from you guys and gals has been totally AWESOME! Much appreciated!

Chuck

See less See more
#5 ·
No other stocking opinions? Noting wrong with the Rusties, just want to know that I have looked at what will work... Honestly, I think that I have anyway either through other threads here or opinions and suggestions... I am about 5-7 days away from ordering stock... My 29g is completely cycled and my 55g (which will house the Mbuna) is converting ammonia to nitrite and zero'ing out Nitrated in 48 hours... So getting close.

Thx

#6 ·
I'll throw a spanner in the works for you :p

Selecting saulosi as the 2nd species closes the options for the 3rd species dramatically. Eliminating all yellow as well as blue, barred mbuna which is lots.

Rusties don't have the really nice females like you seem to want. So changing saulosi to for example electric yellows keeps the yellow colour in the tank, but opens up your options on the 3rd species dramatically.

#7 ·
Yellow labs are monomorphic right? If I went that route what would be a good 3rd? You are right that I want fems with color also. That is why I went with Saulosi good color male and female. I mean 1 male and 5 females leave a lot of drab if I do not go with nicely colored females

#10 ·
My signature is a little bit out of date - I no longer have them.
When I did have them (Hai Reef) I enjoyed them - they were probably the least aggressive fish in that tank, but even still the male showed good color. They bred a few times for me. My one complaint is that the females are very drab. I'll look for some pictures.

#11 ·
Thanks Kanorin, I have seen pics of the females and they were silver with lite blue flecks... Not much color just a little. I really like the color of the male though and I thought with just a hint of blue flecks they would be ok.

So, it appears that my tank is only a day or so away from being fully cycled and I now have to finalize my stock list. I really like the suggestion on stocking... So now it looks like

Yellow Labs
Cynotilapia sp. Hara
Ps. Elongatus Jewel Spot (but as the title sez... I am even second guessing that now... I do not want drab Fems, especially if I need to stock 1/6)

Would welcome other thoughts here as well...sure, why not?

#13 ·
Cynotilapia sp. "hara" 1m 4f
Yellow Labs 1m 4f
Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos 1m 7f

I've never kept cyaneorhabdos but I think they'd make a nice addition. All 3 species don't get particularly big so I would think they would be fine in a 55g. Someone who's kept them may correct me though.

#19 ·
I just need a bigger tank!! :D A 55g by non-enthusiast is big, but I am finding a difficult time stocking it for sure.

DJ, or others, any other suggestions?

I like the Hara, I like the Msobo but I know they are too aggressive, yellow labs are just ok (unless needed for color), love the polit but again too aggressive. Almost seems I am back at square 1. I am looking for color, compatibility, and finality in stocking search :?

Need help please!, :-?

#25 ·
Great! Done. Unlike the last time I raised cichlids, I have a much higher sense of WHY? I "think" that is a good think for mr in the long run... So, I am happy with the choice... But could you, or someone, tell me why this is a good or the best choice of the 4 possibilities?

Thanks!

#26 ·
For one you dont have species that are similar so it might be less aggression but that is depending of the personality of the fish..u have species that are considered omnivores bit my opinion all mbuna are herbivores..so thats a good stocklist so good luck and that will make a pretty tank with them colors!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.