Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Lost cichlid: how to restock

512 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  DJRansome 
#1 ·
Hi All:

Tank was up and running great for the past year. Stocked with 3 Acei, 4 yellow labs, 4 red zebras, 1 pleco, 1 jaguar cat. One zebra got fin and tail rot, took to LFS placed in sick tank to recover, There about two weeks, brought back home and a week later break out ich in tank. I lost 1 Ace, 2 labs and 2 zebras.

The Acei have grown pretty large 4-5in. Wondering if I need to restock with the adults or can I go with juveniles? I have know clue of identifying if I have males or females remaining.

Thanks

P.S. could restock with a few peacocks?

#4 ·
How long ago was the last fish death? Were all the deaths from illness or were some from aggression?

If you add more fish your going to want to add juvies. Not just 1 or 2 either. Atleast 3.

Doesn't sound like your into breeding so if your zebras are females and are not hyper aggressive you could leave those in as is. If you have a male or a really aggressive zebra then you might be better off trading both those in.

Getting 3 or 4 more yellow lab juvies would be a pretty safe bet either way.

#5 ·
It would probably be best give the tank a month from the last death before you add fish. Let things settle down.
Right now, you have a couple of options. Do you want mbuna or peacocks? Breeding groups or all male?

Since you asked about peacocks, the red zebras would have to go. The labs would be fine along with the acei. You can stock with either juvies or adults; that wouldn't be an issue. If you go with male peacocks and haps, try to aim for no more than 6-7, no look-alikes with each maturing at 6" or less. Stay away from the Jacobfrebergie variants, Lwanda and Walteri. Along with the peacocks, you could also add 2-3 more labs.

#6 ·
DanniGirl said:
It would probably be best give the tank a month from the last death before you add fish. Let things settle down.
:thumb:

#8 ·
Choose either yellow labs or Metriaclima estherae as they crossbreed. 1m:4f of each (3 species) would be a nice stocking for a 55G.

Since usually unsexed juveniles are available for sale at a reasonable price, what you can do is buy 2X as many as you need to get a 50/50 chance of getting half females. And rehome the extra males as they mature and start causing trouble in your tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.