Lake Malawi Species • Yellow Lab cichlids being picked on. Need advice please.

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Yellow Lab cichlids being picked on. Need advice please.

Postby PBengtson » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:39 pm

Hey everyone,

Im new to the site with this being my second post. Hopefully you guys can help me with my situation.

So heres the deal, I have an african cichlid 55 gallon tank with 25 malawi cichlids. I have lots of rock work and extra filtration for the over-crowding. I have around 5 yellow labs in the tank and for as long as I can remember they have been getting harassed and chased by most of the fish in the tank, especially by my 2 red zebras. The yellow labs just hang out in the back of the tank and when they try to swim around and go into the rock work, they just get chased out by most of the other fish, especially the red zebras. Because of that, they seem to be afraid to swim around the tank and just stay still in the back of the tank and hide by the HOB filters. I put one of the big red zebras (who seems to be the dominant male) in a 20 gallon tank that I have set up for one of my Acei cichlids who is currently holding eggs, and when I move her over to that tank in around week, I was gonna introduce him back to the 55 gallon and see if it helps with his aggression toward the yellow labs. What do you guys think i can do to make it so the yellow labs can swim freely around the tank and don't get picked on and chased as much? Why do you think they are being picked on by most of the other tank? Some feedback would be great! Thanks guys,

Phil
PBengtson

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Yellow Lab cichlids being picked on. Need advice please.

Postby DanniGirl » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:52 pm

What are the other tank mates? Male/Female or mixed genders? Is it all the labs are just a few?

For the time being, removing the aggressor(s) are an option. Is there any way you could trade the fish in for store credit?
You could also try rearranging the tank and divide the rocks up into separate piles. It may, or may not work but the idea is to break up the line of sight and create new territories.
DanniGirl

Postby PBengtson » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:53 pm

I really dont know a lot of the genders but I know both the red zebras are males. Here are the tank mate and the genders (that I know of).

1 Johanni (not sure)
1 Aurutaus (female)
2 Kenyi (I M/1 F)
3 Acei (1M, 1F, 1unknown)
2 Red Zebra (both male)
1 Peacock (Male I think)
2 Albino (1 M, 1 unknown)
2 small yellow cichlids from an assorted tank, possibly yellow labs (unsure of gender)
2 Cobalt Blue (1 M, 1 F)
1 Rusty (un-sure)
3 Bumblebee (3 F)
5 Yellow Labs (1M, 1F, Not sure of others)
PBengtson

Postby cichlidboy123 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:14 pm

I had 2 kenyi in my 55 g. Not good. I did research & most people recommended 75g tanks or bigger. They were extremely agressive. I got rid of them. My Tank is a lot more peaceful now.
Cliff
cichlidboy123

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:42 am

Duplicate post and more replies here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=246485
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species