Lake Malawi Species • first tank, help stocking a 130 G with peacock/hap

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

first tank, help stocking a 130 G with peacock/hap

Postby sakurachan1 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:05 pm

Heyy, so its pretty much my first tank, so i decided to jump straight into a 130G haha.
I'm thinking of starting an all male peacock/hap tank, which was part of the reason i decided to just jump straight into a 130 G. Can anyone help me with some stocking list? like what works well with what? also how many cichlids can I have in the tank? Any help is highly appreciated!

Oh and on the sidenote, I'm thinking of lightly planting the tank in a PFS substrate, are the plants able to grow with simply just the sand substrate or would I have to need another layer on the bottom of the sand? Will peacock/haps ruin plants like mbuna does?

the tank dimensions are 6ft long x 18" wide x 23" tall
sakurachan1

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby DJRansome » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:38 pm

I'm shooting for 16-18 males in my 72 x 18 tank. Mine will all mature at or under 6" except for one 8" fish. Read the all-male article in the Library for guidelines on stocking.

Yes haps and peacocks eat the plants, but not QUITE as bad as mbuna. Some plants will be OK with PFS and some like a richer substrate.

Plants are a whole science unto themselves, so do a lot of research on varieties, substrate, light, etc. before you tackle it.

Or stick to anubias initially and learn as you go.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby theboothsociety » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:52 pm

Mostly all peacocks and haps can go together. Some are more aggressive than others. With all males it's all trial and error. I find with my all male tank, when you add new fish, do it with 3 or 4 at a time, or add your whole stock at once. If you try and put one fish in, the already tank mates will not have it and will beat up on your new fish.

When I add new fish, I take all the rocks out, give a nice vacuum, put new fish in and then put the rocks in, so they all start from square one together.

I'd stay away from fish that have the same color or look-a-like. (like all blue fish) Also, avoid two of the same fish.
theboothsociety

Postby sakurachan1 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:50 pm

Thanks for the general advices! I've already read the articles in the Library for the past month so I have a general idea what to look for in stocking and with the trial and error. I think what I really wanted to ask or get was some advice from real experiences of what peacocks/haps they have that worked being together without being a big problem. I know sometimes compatibility have to do with with the individual but I think there should be some sort of similar consensus to what combinations to avoid and what is recommended etc.

As for plants I think I will start with some sturdy ones like anubias like you've suggested, and maybe some java ferns etc. Can these grow okay in a normal PFS? I heard it's a good idea to add root tabs if you're using solely PFS to grow plants? or can i just avoid that as a whole?
sakurachan1

Postby ws812 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:35 pm

Dimidiochromis compressiceps
Placidochromis phenochilus
Copadichromis trewavasae
Otopharynx lithobates
Protomelas steveni taiwan
Protomelas milomo
Sciaenochromis fryeri
Aulonocara baenschi
Aulonocara jacobfreibergi otter point
Aulonocara stuartgranti chipoke German red or rubescens
Aulonocara lwanda
Aulonocara hybrid OB or Firefish
Aulonocara jacobfreibergi undu reef
Aulonocara walteri
Aulonocara albino of some sort I'd go with Jacobfreibergi eureka
Labidochromis caeruleus 1M 4F
Thats a pretty close list to what I'd do with a 6ft tank myself. It would probably need some changes but they would happen with time. I like always having a group of labs to add color and movement to any compatible stock list. Good luck with the tank I hope you like some of the fish on the list.
ws812

Postby BNoel21 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:34 pm

I agree with the suggested stock above. My 125 is pretty close to that. Ill be adding in the yellow labs here shortly but my main reason for putting those in the tank is so that they will spawn and provide a nice snack for my other fish.
I have 390+ gallons of fish tank
BNoel21

Postby durby » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:07 pm

i have lwanda and super red empress together and they get along great. they are all really young and i added them in groups of 6 as juvies. i also have a healthy portion of yellow labs in there, too, just in case, though. :)

durby

Re: first tank, help stocking a 130 G with peacock/hap

Postby GoofBoy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:43 am

sakurachan1 wrote:Heyy, so its pretty much my first tank, so i decided to jump straight into a 130G haha.
I'm thinking of starting an all male peacock/hap tank, which was part of the reason i decided to just jump straight into a 130 G. Can anyone help me with some stocking list? like what works well with what? also how many cichlids can I have in the tank? Any help is highly appreciated!

Oh and on the sidenote, I'm thinking of lightly planting the tank in a PFS substrate, are the plants able to grow with simply just the sand substrate or would I have to need another layer on the bottom of the sand? Will peacock/haps ruin plants like mbuna does?

the tank dimensions are 6ft long x 18" wide x 23" tall

Welcome to the boards.

You can check out my All-male 125 stocking clicking on my tanks button for a current working stocklist. It has been up and running as all male over a year and a half. It has been very stable for about 9 months. All male is always a balancing act.

Good Luck...
125g - All-Male
90g - Ptyochromis sp. "Hippo Point Salmon" A. Walteri male, Yellow Lab
75g - P. "Blue Otter" & Kyoga Flameback
40Br - Yellow Lab Growout
40Br - Ps. Cyaneorhabdos Colony
GoofBoy

Postby nmcichlid-aholic » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:08 am

Add to the nice list of haps/peacocks posted by ws812 Cyrtocara moorii and Placidochromis electra "Deep Water" as a couple more species with nice temperaments and mid range size. Nimbochromis venustus is a strikingly beautiful hap as well, but is toward the larger/slightly more aggressive end of the spectrum. Mine has been really mellow, though. As most have mentioned, all-male tanks really do take trial and error along with patience. A combination of species that has worked well for me could very well end up being disastrous for you! I say if you find a fish you want in your tank, try it and see what happens. Good luck!
nmcichlid-aholic

Postby sakurachan1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:04 am

Thanks for the list! Those fishes looks great.
Do you guys think I should add those yellow labs after I get some peacocks/haps? So the peacocks/haps can grow a tiny bit first then introduce the smaller yellow labs, or is it not neccesary with them labs? Since I read something about doing that in a peacock/mbuna mixed tank. Is 1:3 ratio okay too? or is it that important to have it as 1:4.
Also what type of algae eaters, like catfish etc would recommend for this type of stocklist?

Yeah, the venustus looks really nice, but i've heard some nasty things about them but I don't know (mostly in like 75Gs.) What do you guys think? will 130 be okay?

Oh, just a general question, is the aggresion between all male haps/peacock not too bad? I seen saying from both sides, its either "pretty easy" or like "disaster"

Thanks for all the inputs!
sakurachan1

Postby GoofBoy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:15 pm

sakurachan1 wrote:Do you guys think I should add those yellow labs after I get some peacocks/haps? So the peacocks/haps can grow a tiny bit first then introduce the smaller yellow labs, or is it not neccesary with them labs?

I would make sure the peacocks and haps a far bit larger than the labs. 3-4in Haps/Peacocks 1.5-2in Labs and let them settle in together.

sakurachan1 wrote:Since I read something about doing that in a peacock/mbuna mixed tank. Is 1:3 ratio okay too? or is it that important to have it as 1:4.

With Yellow Labs sex ratio isn't usually a big issue.

sakurachan1 wrote:Also what type of algae eaters, like catfish etc would recommend for this type of stocklist?

Bristle Nosed Pleco.

sakurachan1 wrote:Yeah, the venustus looks really nice, but i've heard some nasty things about them but I don't know (mostly in like 75Gs.) What do you guys think? will 130 be okay?

I specifically stay away from the Nimbochromis and other larger more predatory species to error on the side of peacefulness. Of course, I just had to get a Dimidiochromis strigatus because he was too beautiful and only $18, we'll see how it works out as he grows.

sakurachan1 wrote:Oh, just a general question, is the aggresion between all male haps/peacock not too bad? I seen saying from both sides, its either "pretty easy" or like "disaster"

Depends on the individuals.

If you get a hyper aggressive male - he will go non-stop after other fish (or single one out - which is far worse) and the only solution may be re-homing him. Or if you get two males that want to kill each other, yeah, they will try to kill each other.

I had Flametail and Walteri peacocks that simply went into death match mode when in the same tank, tried separating them for weeks on end multiple times but as soon as they were back in the same tank they started up again immediately - torn fins and scales missing on both within 15 minutes, ended up getting rid of the Flametail.

The Walteri has subsequently gone into timeout 3 or 4 times for aggression to everyone else, last time for about 4 months (his last chance), more stocking in the tank and I think everyone else is now big enough/bigger than him that he is no longer a issue - but that is the kind of stuff you can expect.

The current setup has had no real aggression for going on 9 months now, but I know trouble can start at any time.
125g - All-Male
90g - Ptyochromis sp. "Hippo Point Salmon" A. Walteri male, Yellow Lab
75g - P. "Blue Otter" & Kyoga Flameback
40Br - Yellow Lab Growout
40Br - Ps. Cyaneorhabdos Colony
GoofBoy

Postby sakurachan1 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:04 am

how many Bristle Nosed Pleco should I be getting? I might consider adding a venustus just cuz I love the look :(, but I think I will do that later on so the other peacocks/haps will be relatively bigger than he is for awhile.
sakurachan1

Postby DJRansome » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:40 am

I have two in my 72" tank.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby sandandrocks » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:05 am

I have 2 BN Plecos in my 125. I've had a Venustus for about 6 months now and he is the biggest fish in my tank. He went from my mixed Malawi 30 gallon - mixed Malawi 75 gallon - all male peacock/hap 75 gallon and now to my 125 all male peacock/hap and has never hurt any of his tank mates. This might just be my luck but for me i've had no problems with my Venustus.
sandandrocks

Postby sakurachan1 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:43 pm

with the list ws812 provided, does anyone know if Protomelas taeniolatus (Red) could fit in there? or would it have some conflict with some in the list? (like looking too much the same)
sakurachan1

Next

Return to Lake Malawi Species