Lake Malawi Species • Which Peacock Stand out most to you. VOTE YOUR FAVORITE

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Which Aulonocara stands out in your eyes.

Ngara Flametail Peacock
24%
Lemon Jake
24%
Lwanda
32%
Red Shoulder Peacock
8%
Aulonocara koningsi Mbenji Blue Regal
4%
bicolor- 500
8%

Total votes : 25

Which Peacock Stand out most to you. VOTE YOUR FAVORITE

Postby sunny231 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:48 pm

i know someone else has this thread similar but im doing this for my own assessment from only certain group. i will be choosing the top 2 to breed. i will be getting them proven f1. i just want to know what u guys think. i have my my fav but i gotta make sure i get something that stands out to EVERYone! lol

big list but choose whats ur favorite
sunny231

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby DJRansome » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:21 pm

My favorite is not on the list.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby danielratti » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:03 pm

Aulonocara stuartgranti Chiwindi
Aulonocara ethelwynnae Cannot wait to get one of these.
danielratti

Postby sunny231 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:14 am

DJRansome wrote:My favorite is not on the list.
'

choose ur fav from the list :P not from any species.
sunny231

Postby m1ke715m » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:16 am

lwandas and im really partial to my chitande type norths.. they are really pretty when lit up... ngaras are nice but everyone has them.. im considering getting rid of my group eventually.. oh and ethelwynnaes are def one of my favorites..
m1ke715m

Postby DJRansome » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:55 am

sunny231 wrote:choose ur fav from the list :P not from any species.
The only one on the list I would even buy is Ngara and he has not been a stand-out in my tank, he does not color up "as advertised" due to dominance. I did not expect him to be such a wimp. Maybe better in a species tank.

My message is...please yourself. Everyone is not going to agree on the same "best" one out of that list. :thumb:
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby sunny231 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:13 pm

DJRansome wrote:
The only one on the list I would even buy is Ngara and he has not been a stand-out in my tank, he does not color up "as advertised" due to dominance. I did not expect him to be such a wimp. Maybe better in a species tank.

My message is...please yourself. Everyone is not going to agree on the same "best" one out of that list. :thumb:

thanks bud.
sunny231

Postby theboothsociety » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:50 pm

Yup my Ngara was a wimp too. Just lost him.

My favs on that list are the Lemon Jake & Lwanda.
theboothsociety

Postby m1ke715m » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:21 pm

sunny231 wrote:
DJRansome wrote:

thanks bud.

lol donna does it ever get old being mistaken for a guy?
m1ke715m

Postby 24Tropheus » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:18 pm

I just see too many trade names on the list to make a choice. Not all just one species and variant? I guess it depend on the dealer/breeder what species and variant was ment?

Not fare comparing man made types vs wild types on looks alone? Each have their own followings.

But if pushed of those I have bred I would go Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
Most colours and longest finnage, best forked tail, most graceful and a real wild type not too messed about.

But even those look dull compared to the man made stuff coming out of Germany these days. :oops: :)
Tanks 180, empty revamping 100,65,60g Tropheus/tang communities 75g revamping. 29gx3 shelly communities, 29g Trigs breeding. 20gx2 shelly tanks. BCA member 207. Try it you might like it.
24Tropheus

Postby DJRansome » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:24 pm

24Tropheus wrote:But if pushed of those I have bred I would go Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
Most colours and longest finnage, best forked tail, most graceful and a real wild type not too messed about.
I don't even "get" the Lwanda. Everyone loves that fish so much, but every time I look I don't see the attraction. Maybe I'm more into the colors than the long finnage. :-?
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby 24Tropheus » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:28 pm

DJRansome wrote:
24Tropheus wrote:But if pushed of those I have bred I would go Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
I don't even "get" the Lwanda. Everyone loves that fish so much, but every time I look I don't see the attraction. Maybe I'm more into the colors than the long finnage. :-?

You have to see them in the flesh. They do look rubbish on the photos.
My prob is I am comparing them with some guys I have never seen good ones of in the flesh.
Those too may have features you only see if you keep good ones of them. :D

Prob is photos do lie esp with Aulonocara colours.

But then its good that folk do not agree.
Better chance that each will be kept and bred in the hobby?

My real fav is Aulonocara hueseri because it is so small and peaceful and has to be seen under dim lighting to show its true colours. (and I guess because it was the first I bred so many years ago now) But try convincing anyone of that. They think you mad. :wink:
Tanks 180, empty revamping 100,65,60g Tropheus/tang communities 75g revamping. 29gx3 shelly communities, 29g Trigs breeding. 20gx2 shelly tanks. BCA member 207. Try it you might like it.
24Tropheus

Postby m1ke715m » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:24 pm

mine are stunning.. rory i think said it best.. he first saw them in ohio and thought the guy had blacklights on the tanks making the fish glow orange in the fins.. dominant males are really gorgeous..

i also really like my galleriya reefs and chitande type masinjes... oh and walteri are really nice too
m1ke715m

Postby sunny231 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:25 pm

i enjoy the lwanda for the colour and the finage myself.there are many types of lwanda as far as colours go. some may look like the wild ones with amazing colour, whereas others may not have the best colours and considered bad males or non show males. it all depends from which breeder your getting it from. my breeder has the wc. so ill be grabbing is f1 as soon as they breed. apparently they are hard fish to breed. not sure if its true. but hes not having the best luck and he has a wicked ratio. i tihnk 1:8 ratio.
sunny231

Postby m1ke715m » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:31 pm

i find they breed better with more males... peacocks in general.. i have 3 males and 6 females.. i have 2 colored up males and one is a bit brighter than the other and then one male that they both beat the $%$ out of.. mine were breeding pretty regularly and have slowed down.. ill have a female holding for a few days then she'll spit the eggs when i feed the tank.. ima try netting her and putting her in a breeder net next time i see her holding.. but no they arent harder to breed than any other peacock imo.. im breeding ethelwynnaes, albino eurekas, galleriya reefs, chitande type masinjes, chitande type norths, korneliae, ruby reds, and ngaras and I've only had the ethelwynnaes not really breed at all for me but thats cuz i only have 1 male... well the korneliae are too small still so they havent bred and the same with the galleriyas and ruby reds... but if you have the right tankmates and ratios they breed just fine.. I've also noticed that the females when small dont hold for long
m1ke715m

Next

Return to Lake Malawi Species