Lake Malawi Species • Stocking advice for 55g

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Stocking advice for 55g

Postby Deng09 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:20 pm

I was hoping I could get some stocking advice from some of the experts around here. I have a 55g tank, and have had 9 cichlids for about 10 days now. Water quality is perfect, and all fish are healthy, so I am wanting to add another batch. Thing is I didn't think out my selection too great the first time.

Right now I have:

4 kenyi
2 red zebras
2 yellow labs
1 Acei

They are all about 1 inch or less right now, except the bigger red zebra is about 1.25 inches. Both red zebras are partially albino. They are both bright orange, but have red eyes. The yellow labs are kind of a dirty yellow color, I'm not sure if that is supposed to get brighter with age, or if I got some bad quality labs. Being that they are so small it is hard to sex them, but the bigger red zebra and the acei both have 2 egg spots, the smaller red zebra (about half the size) has one egg spot, and none of the kenyis have egg spots, if that helps at all.

I definitely want to keep the kenyis, and I really like the red zebras too. All the stores near me sell only more mature fish, around 2 inches+, unless you get them from the assorted tank, which has them much smaller fish, but is sort of a grab bag on quality. The adult yellow labs look really nice, but mine are sort of crappy looking.

I know it's usually recommended to keep 3 species in a 55g, with about 4 or 5 of each species. Any tips on what I should choose as my 3rd species? I know it's usually recommended that none of them look too similar to avoid fighting. If I keep the one Acei with 3 others will this cause more aggression? I definitely want to stick with the brighter mbuna cichlids, I am not a fan of the metallic looking haps or peacocks.

So where should I go from here to keep my tank as happy as possible without to much fighting and aggression. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Deng09

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Stocking advice for 55g

Postby Super Turtleman » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:10 pm

How about some White Labs or Albino Socolofi? Then you'll have Yellow, Blue, Orange and White. Do you plan on breeding in this tank?
Stocklist: F1 Zaire Blue Kapampa Frontosa, Williamsi North Makonde, Kawanga Gold Zebras, Saulosi, White Labs, Elongatus Mbenji Blue, S. multipunctatus, J. marlieri, Tropheus Duboisi & Chimba Red, Tropheops Chilumba (Mphanga)
Super Turtleman

Postby DJRansome » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:41 am

Wait...you already have four species?

If you definitely want to keep the kenyi, which are difficult to keep even in a 48" x 18" tank...I'd go single species and get 1m:11f in your 55G.

Red zebra is also Metriaclima, so I'd skip them.

Yellow labs will give you two yellow males, so I'd skip them.

Acei are borderline too big for a 55G anyway.

Or you could go all-male and remove all females. You may like the variety better with this approach. 8-10 fish with no look alikes.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby True Blue Johanni » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:04 pm

Hi!

I have a 29 gallon tank with:

1 Yellow lab
1 Bumblebee
1 Blue Johanni
1 assorted kind of cichlid
1 pleco

I used to have an acei, 2 Demosonis, and an electric blue.

Have had good experiences with all these except the electric blue. Unfortuately, a bacterial disease recently killed my acei and demosonis.
My electric blue was so rough i had to give him away. Just some food for thought.....

Good Luck!!
True Blue Johanni

Postby True Blue Johanni » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:05 pm

My tank was for showing only though...
True Blue Johanni

Return to Lake Malawi Species