Cichlid Fish Forum banner

New tank

498 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DJRansome 
#1 ·
Started my very first African Cichlid tank in the past couple weeks and I have a couple of questions...

Tank is 75 gallons with large two lime stone structures and several fake plants.
First three fish in the tank were 1 white lab L. (caeruleus nkhata bay), 1 red zebra , and 1 P. acei.

Yesterday I added a yellow lab, a venustus, L. fulleborni, and a blue johanni. All males.

My water levels seem to be good and the temperature is kept around 79 or so.

Everything seems to be getting along fine except for the white lab can not stand the blue johanni it seems, even though the johanni is larger. Will these fish calm down or once they decide they dont like eachother am I pretty much screwed?

Any other opinions about my current species and what more I can add to my setup are appreciated.
Thanks.

#2 ·
My labs are the most docile cichlid I have or any of my friends have. My Johanni does not even interact with my labs so It may just may be a temporary thing. I am sure the experts will chime in. tank size and fishsize i am pretty sure play a big role in aggression.

#3 ·
All male are hit and miss, you never know who will like who. Sometimes it settles down and sometimes you remove a fish. I'd have predicted the johannii as the aggressor, so you see?

Let them try to work it out until you see injuries, and then remove someone to fix the problem.

The venustus will be too big for the tank. I'd stick with mbuna since the majority of fish you have now are mbuna.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.