General African Cichlid Discussion • fish at top of aquarium

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: Floridagirl, DJRansome

Re: fish at top of aquarium

Postby Eskimette » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:45 pm

thank you all for bearing with me here - i'm learning
Eskimette

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:46 pm

Eskimette wrote:*cringe* it isnt printed on the tank anywhere and I no longer have the packedging of this one...it was a sale buy while trying to find the right 55 gal...marineland is what we settled on there and it should be in within the week..

this one..i am really not sure.. a pet shop was going out of business and we picked it up..no packedging really as they were going out of business.. I have a submergible filter I can pop in..should i?

DO you have good water movement in the tank? Is the surface agitated?

Also...what type of fish in the 20g?

You definitely need to get a ammonia and nitrite and nitrate test kit.

Also would be a good idea to do a water change, wouldn't hurt.

Are you using a good dechlorinator?
13razorbackfan

Postby Eskimette » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:51 pm

13razorbackfan wrote:
Eskimette wrote:*cringe* it isnt printed on the tank anywhere and I no longer have the packedging of this one...it was a sale buy while trying to find the right 55 gal...marineland is what we settled on there and it should be in within the week..

this one..i am really not sure.. a pet shop was going out of business and we picked it up..no packedging really as they were going out of business.. I have a submergible filter I can pop in..should i?

DO you have good water movement in the tank? Is the surface agitated?

Also...what type of fish in the 20g?

You definitely need to get a ammonia and nitrite and nitrate test kit.

Also would be a good idea to do a water change, wouldn't hurt.

Are you using a good dechlorinator?

water is very aggitated - added bubbler along with the filter which creates a lot of disturbance this evening when i noticed issue

have good dechlorinator - am on well water as well

type of fish - one small cat fish - two yellow electrics? one ruby jewel, one hap, 2 i think are hybrid, and one small red tailed shark

they are all very small - tank is acorner unit with more floor space/hiding space than a longer unit generally offers - tank is not a long term thing - as mentioned - new tank coming this week to start setting up
Eskimette

Postby Eskimette » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:52 pm

submersible filter seems to be really, really, really helping
Eskimette

Postby brinkles » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:52 am

I'd do a big water change anyway. It can only help!
brinkles

Postby Eskimette » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:53 am

I had ended up inadvertently doing a water change to put the few fish in, as i could not fit the water they came with into the fish tank otherwise.. and I dd not want to net them out as thy had quite a chase to be caught.. Am thinking maybe the water from the pet shop was what caused the spike, in hindsight..

You were all right on the nitrite I think -- I popped in the Submersible filter and the bubble rock and between one disturbing the water and extra food, and the other cleaning it, its a whole new attitude in there.

I can't stand the idea of them suffering.. so I'm very very glad for your help.

There's a bit of a current in the aquarium now however...

Does anyone know if the filter that comes with the Marineland 55 gal day/night tank (one with the two different bulbs) is going to be strong enough for that size tank if I move this submersible into it as well? Or before I put any more fish in that tank once I move these guys over should I invest in another filter?

I ordered the marineland tank from the little specialty shop I found - they mentioned a submersible was a good idea but that they came with a good filter as well - but a submersible never hurts due to the stocking of cichlids.. any thoughts would be appreciated.
Eskimette

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:51 pm

What are your test results?

Does the new 55G aquarium look like this:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=23554

It comes with a Penguin 350 which is 350 gph. Around 6X which is OK. Clean it frequently so debris does not slow down the filter.

What are the fish you are stocking?
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Eskimette » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:00 am

Hi guys
sorry for the delay - have been working my butt off with work

I actually could not find a nitirite test at the major pet shop here so I'm going to talk to the smaller fish boutique place when I pick up my larger aquarium - fish are doing very very well now - and have grown quite a bit. The submersible second filter and the bubble rock pretty much fixed them it seems.. they look very relaxed and are fluttering around all diff areas of the aquarium.

That is not quite like the aquarium I purchased. mine has the double hood lite fore night and day
Eskimette

Previous

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion