General African Cichlid Discussion • Breeding question

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: Floridagirl, DJRansome

Breeding question

Postby PBrods » Thu May 17, 2012 12:18 pm

I have 3 Yellow Labs...not sure of sex...and 1 male Red Zebra and 2 female Red Zebra Cichlids. I noticed about a week and a half ago that one of my Yellow Labs was not eating. It's trying but not opening it's mouth to get anything and looks like it's holding. I cannot tell the partner as it's is usually by itself and gets chased by everyone else. Nobody in the tank truly has a cave to call their own. I have 4 but they are used by everyone going in and out of them. None that one would call owned by a particular fish. Most fish spend most of their time in the fake plants that I have in the two back corners of the tank. Question...Would the Red Zebras and Yellow Labs cross breed?...and...It's been a week and a half without the Lab eating. Should I leave it be and see how it goes? builds something for the fry in the tank or transport the holding fish to a seperate tank. If transfer...how do you know when it should be transfered?

Thanks in advance
PBrods

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Breeding question

Postby mbuna17 » Thu May 17, 2012 12:40 pm

I'd let nature take its course. Labs and red zebras are know for crossbreeding. So their is a high chance that more than likely they in fact did cross breed.
mbuna17

Postby PBrods » Thu May 17, 2012 1:14 pm

If they did... Would I be able to tell by the fry?
PBrods

Postby mbuna17 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:27 pm

PBrods wrote:If they did... Would I be able to tell by the fry?

You may be able to tell but on some occasions the fry may only look like one of the parents. Hybrids can sometimes appear as pure fish. If you plan on keeping the fry do not distribute them.
mbuna17

Postby PBrods » Thu May 17, 2012 1:38 pm

Bummer... Looks like the will be feeder fish. So if I ever want to give them to a fish store, I need to get rid if the red zebras?
PBrods

Postby mbuna17 » Thu May 17, 2012 2:15 pm

PBrods wrote:Bummer... Looks like the will be feeder fish. So if I ever want to give them to a fish store, I need to get rid if the red zebras?

If you are looking to breed the labs yes.
mbuna17

Postby DJRansome » Thu May 17, 2012 7:21 pm

What I have is only proven females among the red zebras. That way I can at least save fry from the labs, but never from the zebras.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome

Postby Dawg2012 » Thu May 17, 2012 7:39 pm

I believe I had a yellow lab cross with a zebra...

I didn't see it happen, but the fry went from pure yellow to darn near pure white, and the whiter they were the larger they were. After about two months the pure white ones were 3x larger than the pure yellow.

I kept them because the pure white ones are quite attractive, but I won't be distributing them.
125 Borleyi, Electra and Dolphins
125 Afra, Red-Top Hongi, White/Yellow labs
75 Multies, Cyps and Caudo's (maybe)
75 White Calvus, in work (want another Afra tank :) )
55's Paracyps, Alto's, Peacock, BN Pleco's
Various others...
Dawg2012

Postby brinkles » Thu May 17, 2012 11:03 pm

The stores by me are much happier to get yellow labs than red zebras.
brinkles

Postby RifterFish » Sat May 19, 2012 8:27 pm

Normally if you have a male and female of the same species in the tank they tend to breed with each other and not cross-breed with other fish. If your male red zebra has two females I doubt he would go after the yellow fish. With three yellow labs I would say you have about a 90% chance they are yellow lab fry, thats is if one of them is male. Why not take them out and vent them, then you will know for sure. Yes they do cross-breed but usually in situations when there are no other males or females of the same species. The females are attracted by color. Only rarely will a yellow one go for an orange or blue. But males tend to care less about color.
RifterFish

Postby DJRansome » Sun May 20, 2012 10:47 am

I have found, specific to caeruleus and estherae, that the zebra male will spawn with the lab females as WELL as the estherae females. Since you can't ID hybrid fry (since they can look exactly like either parent) I do not save caeruleus or estherae fry if I have them both in the tank, even with adequate male:female ratio. If I want to save fry, I just avoid this combination.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion