General African Cichlid Discussion • You ever find a fish that you thought was long gone?

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Re: You ever find a fish that you thought was long gone?

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:24 am

Is this the post that has the pics?
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=399938&p=2816322#p2816322

I think if you want to try again (because maybe the subject confused Members) it would work better if you had posted them in the topic individually and numbered the pictures and stated for each pic which fish (or fishes) you wanted an ID on.

There are 13 pictures?
1-Two fish, one orange, one w/blue bars and red dorsal
2-Three fish, one orange (also in pic #1), one yellow, one drab with blue bars
3-Three fish, one albino, one blue bars and red dorsal (same as pic#1), one that is a blue-green blur
4-One fish, drab with blue bars (also in pic #2)
5-Two fish, one blue bars with blue dorsal, one yellow (also in pic #2)
6-One fish, albino (also in pic #3)
7-Two fish, one solid blue, one blue bars with blue dorsal (also in pic #5)
8-Three fish, one orange (also in pic #1), one pale yellow, one drab with blue bars (also in pic #2 and pic #4)
9-Two fish, same fish as pic #5
10-One fish, orange (also in pic #1)
11-One fish, orange (also in pic #1)
12-One fish, blue bars with blue dorsal (also in pic #5)
13-One fish, solid blue (also in pic #7)

We can help with posting the pics, but you should review my summary above. It is important for you to confirm if the same fish is in multiple pictures.

From your list above. Note that females fight and females don't hang around the males they want to spawn with so that behavior does not help with gender ID.
6) Metriaclima Estherae (orange fish?)
6) Labidochromis Caeruleus (yellow fish? I did not see any yellow labs. maybe lab/zebra hybrid?)
1) albino, (white fish. maybe greshakei hybrid?)
1) Hap or Peacock (is this fish in any pics? pic #3 maybe the blue/green blur? I can't think of a hap or peacock female silver with red dorsal and bars)
3) Blue fish all 3 male they all fight with everyone two are the same, one is just all blue with black bars (solid blue maybe socolofi, blue bars with blue dorsal IDK but separate species. Is it elongated? Let's call it a Cynotilapia type hybrid.)
1) Fuelleborni ? (which pic shows this fish?)
1) The lost fish..hard to say what he is because he always hides (which pic shows this fish?)
4) Brownish bluish fish they are non aggressive and all pretty small. I think all females. (drab blue-barred fish?)

CONCLUSION (if you want to keep these fish)

If they are all or mostly hybrids, you really cannot get more females of the same species. But you need more females. I would choose 4 "types" and rehome the one-of-a-kind fish like the suspected hap, the albino, the fuelleborni.

1-estherae types (you have 6)
2-lab types (you have 6)
3-socolofi (you have 2)
4-choose between the blue barred fish with red dorsal (like pic #1) and the blue barred fish with blue dorsal (like pic #5).

For the estherae, remove the most aggressive one and see how the rest do. Keep doing this until they get along. Buy more estherae if you have to down the road.
The lab-types you said are OK.
Buy 8 socolofi. This should give the 2 you have a harem and you can remove extra males if they become a problem so you end up with 1m:4f of these. OR rehome the 2 socolofi types and buy 8 acei instead.
For the blue barred species, if you choose the red dorsal, buy 8 red top zebras to provide a harem. If you choose the blue dorsal, see if you can get a better ID so you can decide what to buy (cynotilapia? elongatus? pulpican?)
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus, Labs; 38G Turkis
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Tetrastigma; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby RayMontana » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:46 pm

alot of fish have colored up more. the hap or peacock is in the 4th pic to the far left ..theres a blue one and yellow in the pic too. Its not sporting the red trimmed dorsal there, it has it now.
Ill try new pictures.
RayMontana

Postby RayMontana » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:12 am

5th pic..
1) orange and blue with red dorsal 6 orange and two blue/red
2) unknown brown fish (maybe crabro) w orange fish.. one of those
3) albino..theres only one of them
4)same fish as 2
5) hap? blue and red dorsal and yellow.. 6 of those
6) albino same as 3 and the one Hap or whatever it is
7) two of the misc fish dont know what they are
8 ) this guy turned all blue with black edging on dorsal pectorals and anal fin
9) same as 1 and 5
10) nothing special
11) cant really see
12) same as 1,5,9
13) same as 1, 5, 9 and 12

trying to load current pictures. dont have my helper here so its not gonna happen unless I have an epiphany of sorts....

thanks for all your help..
RayMontana

Postby RayMontana » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:20 am

Sorry if this is frustrating for you....
RayMontana

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:04 pm

The key to posting pictures is to copy the "img" link from your picture hosting software. Then it is just a matter of copying the img link into the CF post.

IDK how to do it on flickr...I use photobucket. Not saying it is easier on photobucket...I think a lot of Members use flickr.

I'd still remove the one-of-a-kind fish like the haps and peacocks, regardless of ID.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus, Labs; 38G Turkis
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Tetrastigma; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby RayMontana » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:43 am

I got five of them out, mostly trouble makers..so they are "adjusting" to their new temporary environment. Nobody is king anymore so they are all trying to be.
RayMontana

Previous

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion