General African Cichlid Discussion • i added 7 frontosa fry to my malawi tank.video

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: Floridagirl, DJRansome

i added 7 frontosa fry to my malawi tank.video

Postby cichlid_beast » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:21 pm

saw one get eaten ;/ cought 3 and i think the other 3 were eated as well nightmare...

i really like the fish and have heard that they can live amongst each other? maybe i heard wrong but i was thinking to get a couple of adults I've got a video pls see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmKKLnhWG2M

would my only other option be to get a different tank for them
what can frontosas live with if i cant have them in this tank?
cichlid_beast

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: i added 7 frontosa fry to my malawi tank.video

Postby 13razorbackfan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:34 pm

What are the dimensions of the tank again? Even if the tank is large enough I don't think it is going to work especially with them being so small. Can you not return them to the LFS?

Honestly...my best piece of advice....buy a new 240g tank and go all tanganyika!
13razorbackfan

Postby cichlid_beast » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:39 am

Why do people go all tang?

I can understand kinda cos frontosas look great.
But these malawis are nice too multi colours
cichlid_beast

Postby Fogelhund » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:32 am

cichlid_beast wrote:
would my only other option be to get a different tank for them
what can frontosas live with if i cant have them in this tank?

They are a slow moving fish, and will never do well in a tank of mbuna, no matter how large the frontosas are.

You will need another 6ft tank to properly house the frontosa. If you are prepared to do that, we can give some suggestions as to what to mix them with. They can be mixed with Malawian Haps, but obviously not ones that will eat the frontosa now.
Fogelhund

Postby Michael_M » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:05 am

The C Moori you have in the Mbuna tank would do well with Frontosa in another tank. They'd probably appreciate being away from the more boisterous Mbuna too.

"That chap" is a predator and will definitely eat those smaller mbuna if they ever give him the chance. The little mbuna are fast, but can be surprised.

There are some very nice and colourful tangs out there. They have shapes, patterns and behaviour different to Malawians. Comps for example rotate themselves to fit into the strangest gaps. Stuff like pair bonding, sharing holding duties ect.
Michael_M

Postby cichlid_beast » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:22 pm

hi guys thanks for advice,

I found 2 more fry!! im so happy they creeped out looking for food amongst the rocks! i caught one and i have left the other one in there as he seems to be ok eating and running into his rock! im over the moon 4 are safe in the box 1 is free knows what he is doing so only 1 more to find hopefully i only lost one i had 7.

by the way how long can the fronts live in that box im feeding them about 3-4 times a day so the grow fast!
so yes are they ok in that box for a couple of months i will prolly get a 5x2x2 tank like this as my tanganyika setup soon and put it where the flat screen is and get the screen wall mounted the misses dont know it yet!

should i be moving the plastic box around dayly to ensure freash water? by the way the new one thats in the box has darker black and the other 3 have lighter black is this because the other 3 have been living in there for 2 days and are stressed?
in which case i should consider my options sooner rather then later
cichlid_beast

Postby AulonoKarl » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:41 pm

If you put fish into an african cichlid tank that can fit all the way inside another fish's mouth, you're gonna have a bad time.
AulonoKarl

Postby cichlid_beast » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:04 pm

AulonoKarl wrote:If you put fish into an african cichlid tank that can fit all the way inside another fish's mouth, you're gonna have a bad time.

tell em about it!

think they will be safe in the box i mean breathing wise? they have been for 3 days now.
cichlid_beast

Postby Michael_M » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:47 am

I would not keep them in that little box for very long. It's only good for a very temporary measure and no good will come of it for longer than a week or 2.

Best solution is to go down to a LFS and purchase a little tank for them. Usually you can get a 20 or so gallon tank with everything you need included in the box for very cheap (About 50 dollars here, and everything here is expensive). A tank that size should be fine for grow-out while you sort out the bigger tank for them. After you setup the larger tank, the little tank can be kept for a hospital/quarantine tank incase any of your fish become sick/injured or are holding.
Michael_M

Postby cichlid_beast » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:49 pm

Michael_M wrote:I would not keep them in that little box for very long. It's only good for a very temporary measure and no good will come of it for longer than a week or 2.

Best solution is to go down to a LFS and purchase a little tank for them. Usually you can get a 20 or so gallon tank with everything you need included in the box for very cheap (About 50 dollars here, and everything here is expensive). A tank that size should be fine for grow-out while you sort out the bigger tank for them. After you setup the larger tank, the little tank can be kept for a hospital/quarantine tank incase any of your fish become sick/injured or are holding.

thanks,

what do you think will be the problem?
i have a spare tank however no filter with BB so i dont think the fry will be ok in a new tank.

what will happen to them if they stay in the box for longer i was thinking till they get larger ?
by the way i have 4 in the box and one running free the free one knows what he is doing and is doing great slowy getting braver and running from rock to rock grabbing food then running away when a fish gets near him maybe release these too soon when they get a little bigger?

but the main question is what will happen if they stay in the box?
cichlid_beast

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:44 am

I find the breeder boxes have poorer circulation than the open tank. Think of staying in a small closet or a jail cell for long periods of time. I like them for newly spit fry for about 7 days.

If you don't have a tank for them, why do you want to keep them?
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion