Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • Looking or suggestion.

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: CjCichlid, notho2000

Looking or suggestion.

Postby bcshepard » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:03 am

Ok I found myself a big ol' lava rock with a large cavern in it. So I somewhat liked the piece and grabbed it.. Has various holes on it and the fish so far are very interested in it. It is floating better than a turd at the moment but there are still air pockets in it so I think I'll give it a few days on that.. A stone is holding it down at the moment. The pic is a bit hazzy as I stirred up sand etc.

I am basically looking for suggestions what I should do with the rest of the bottom for aqua scaping.

bcshepard

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Looking or suggestion.

Postby red top hongi » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:28 pm

That's A really nice piece. Honestly I would either put smaller lava around it or put smaller lace rock around it. I can't tell if the color of lace would match it. When you put the rocks in I would definatly make alot of caves out of it. Are those plants java fern?
http://www.tankoutlaws.com

located in TN check us out!
red top hongi

Postby CCichlids » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:49 am

red top hongi wrote:That's A really nice piece. Honestly I would either put smaller lava around it or put smaller lace rock around it. I can't tell if the color of lace would match it. When you put the rocks in I would definatly make alot of caves out of it.

+1 on the smaller rocks around the base. Maybe a few medium sized pieces around the base and a few skipping stone sized pieces scattered throughout the tank. If it were my tank I might also get a few tall plants to put on the back wall, if the fish wouldn't make a meal out of them. Nice piece though! :fish: :D
CCichlids

Postby jldean23 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:31 am

what would look good is on both sides of lava rock stack the back get river rocks from local river stack it up stair step it down towards the front while making caves just bleach rocks first or if you want the front open stack rocks in back make caves put a couple Stonehenge rocks out with one on top like a house
55 gal tank
custom built wooden stand
diy 3d/background
stock:demonsi, yellowtail, pulpican, jalo reef,albino arutus, red top zebra
filter:303b sunsun canister w/uv

you can see my tank at:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZmYckySTU&feature=plcp
jldean23

Postby skwerl » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:56 pm

Depends on what you're looking to do.
If you're going for a fish habitat, then add more rocks to form more caves. Rocks that are similar in texture and colors to what you have.
But if I had your tank... I would lose a lot of those fish, not add any more rocks and go for an artistic tank. Maybe add more plants similar to what you already have. That one lava rock is really impressive and makes a big statement. Adding more rocks will detract from it.
skwerl

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)